Basher

Snapping to Greyed Objects

Question

While editing symbols, I have the "Show Other Objects While In Edit Mode" turned on. In the past, I have been able to snap to the greyed objects outside of the symbol that I am editing. That isn't working now. Any idea why? Is this something that I need to check a box to activate? Never had to before.

I just upgraded to 2019 SP2, but it was going on before then. 

Thanks for any help!

7 answers to this question

Thank you, Pat. Yes, they are. 

Odd too, because just before I closed VW on Wednesday night, the snapping worked briefly. Now it isn't again. 

Are things snapping when you are not in Edit mode?

The 'Y' key toggles snapping on and off in the default workspaces. Could you have accidentally hit that and suspended snapping?

Pat, I don't understand. I am in my workspace and toggling through the Y key, but it doesn't change anything. Could you explain how that is supposed to work?

Snapping is working in my normal workspace, just not in Symbol Editing mode

My mistake.

The 'Y' key toggles the Smart Cues. Those text boxes that tell you what kind of point you are snapping to.

The '`' (back tick) key disables snapping while it is held down.

Since the snapping is working outside of Edit mode, I don't have any more good ideas.

It sounds like you have restarted VW already.

If you don't get any other suggestions, my next idea would be to quit VW, drag your User Folder to the desktop and restart VW.  This will create a new user folder, but you will have to reset your preferences to your liking. If this does not fix the snapping issue, trash the new user folder and drag the original one back.

Thanks Pat, I have tried Resetting the Preferences already, which sounds similar to what you are suggesting. I'll keep tinkering with it. Thanks for the help!

Hi, Basher!

Problem does not manifest in my system.  Did you try making a new file with a new symbol and some outside objects?  I'm on MacOS10.13.6 High Sierra, but that should not make difference.

In Symbol Edit screen, with pref for gray outside objects enabled, I can snap to the outside object points as long as drawing layer visibility is set to Gray/Snap Others, Show/Snap Others,  or Show/Snap/Modify Others. Outside snaps are not available in the edit screen if Layer viz is Gray Others or Show Others. My Class viz is set to Show/Snap/Modify. So, working as expected.

Attached is a v2019 file that works as expected on my system, and a couple screen shots showing drawing status. File contains nested symbol of blocks on one layer, skewered disks on another layer.  All snappable in Edit screen if the Layer viz includes snaps.

HTH

-B

SymbolEdit.vwx

Riser&Disks.png

EditRiser.png