livespace josha

Ability to globally lock the visibility state of layers/classes

Question

I'd love for this to be an option! 

2 workflows were this could be useful:

- If working on a "version 2" of a project, hide all the "version 1" classes or layers across all DL, VPSL, etc.

- In a SL, when navigating in and out of viewports to do edits and annotations, Vectorworks sometimes loses the visibility state of classes on that SL. I assign all my viewports, annotations, SL notes and viewports to separate classes so locking these so they are always visible would prevent this.

Thoughts?

Josh

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I have been lobbying for a "Viewport Style" option that would allow us to control the visibilities of our classes/layers in ONE location that may be applied to several viewports. This way, when you add options, classes, layers, etc. you can update the STYLE and all of the viewports that use that style would update also.

It's very similar to saved views currently, but would be applied to viewports and I think it would be the easiest and most effective way to control visibilities throughout large documents without having to match styles or visit each sheet individually during the process.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the saved views route wont get you very far right now if you are trying to update viewports. There is now way of linking a viewport to a saved view's layer and class visibility settings, which is a bummer.

@livespace josha When doing two versions I assume you have layer naming that controls this. Isn't it easy enough to filter the layers by name and confirm that you classes are or layers are controlled that way?

We do the same thing as well...my though would be with 2 or 3 clicks, permanently hide all the versions you didn't like and make the good one active. And this could be done across all design layers, sheet layers, viewports etc at one time without having to manually update each one or toggle visibilities in the organization window.