Y value calculation sheet

I've imported my calculation sheet from VW16 into VW18 and I found out that the Y value is not shown.

Instead it shows the Z value.

Even when I create a new sheet the Y value is not shown correctly.

Anyone else familiar with this problem?

Interesting. It looks like there might be a bug here affecting Extrudes. The HEIGHT and LENGTH functions return the same thing consistently.  If I convert the Extrude to a generic solid the values display properly though they related to how the object was formed, not how the object is oriented in space (eg. if I rotate the object the values don't adjust related to x,y,z).

It gets weirder if you export and open the file in VW2017. The Extrude displays correctly and the LENGTH of the generic solid sets itself to zero. Something has definitely been changed in how these functions work in VW2018. @Marissa Farrell do you know anything about this?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Comments about VW2017
  • Marionette Maven

Looking into this, the Height, Width, and Length functions return the following in worksheets:

Height - "Returns the delta Y (height) of objects"

Width - "Returns the delta X (width) of objects"

Length - "Returns the length of lines or walls"

In my testing, I copied the extrude and converted it to a generic solid for comparison.

For the extrude, I get W = 2840, H = 600, L = 600

For the GS, I get W = 2840, H = 2000, L = 600

The height for the extrude is correct in the Z direction (even though the description for height is explicitly in the Y direction), whereas the GS is having its Y direction noted (which follows the description correctly)

What we're missing for the extrude is the Y direction dimension. I do not think Length is the appropriate value for this.

I would use the formula "=TOPBOUND-BOTBOUND" to get the Y direction values, even though it's counter-intuitive. It returns the same value (2000) for both the extrude and the GS.

I'll send this through, but I don't know what kind of response we'll get. (VB-148650)

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

I also want to add - I did the same test with Marionette to see what our Length/Width/Height nodes return. Both objects return the same values for each query.

Length - 600

Width - 2840

Height - 2000

I'm not sure that there's any direct correlation between worksheet functions and Python/Vectorscript, but I thought it was worth noting just for discussion.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Marissa Farrell said:

Looking into this, the Height, Width, and Length functions return the following in worksheets:

I'll send this through, but I don't know what kind of response we'll get. (VB-148650)

Marissa, thanks for taking a look at this. It may be worth noting that it has changed since VW2017 (and VW2016 as the original post notes) so it can break existing worksheets.

All this directional weirdness is going to have to be rationalized at some point in the future or perhaps replaced by modern functions that return proper x,y,z dimensions. Your example of "=TOPBOUND-BOTBOUND" is a prime example of confusing :o. I was aware that "=LENGTH" would return the amount of extrusion but then I expected it to do nothing with a Generic Solid as it does in VW2017. Is there a comprehensive list of all these worksheet functions somewhere? I was using the dropdown that appears in VW2018 when you edit the worksheet.

28 minutes ago, Marissa Farrell said:

I'm not sure that there's any direct correlation between worksheet functions and Python/Vectorscript, but I thought it was worth noting just for discussion.

This connection was exactly why I tagged you originally....:D

Thanks again for your input.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven
Just now, Kevin McAllister said:

It may be worth noting that it has changed since VW2017 (and VW2016 as the original post notes) so it can break existing worksheets.

I added a link to this discussion to the bug so they can see where we've gone with it :)

1 minute ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Is there a comprehensive list of all these worksheet functions somewhere? I was using the dropdown that appears in VW2018 when you edit the worksheet.

I was actually using the same(ish). I went into the Edit Report dialog and went through the list of available functions, hovering over them gave me the tooltips. I'm not sure if they're listed anywhere, but if I find out they are I'll be sure to share!

Marissa and Kevin, thanks for your help.

Using the "=TOPBOUND-BOTBOUND" formula does get what I want, but it also puts me back to VW 2016 where I needed to put the object in top view to get the right dimensions out of it. In perspective view this formula will measure what it sees.

I don't know if you guys saw this... 

As I was used to this in VW 2016, I'm happy for now. But I do hope there will be a solution soon.

• 3 months later...

Marissa, Kevin,

Has there been any developments about this problem so far?

I've found an addition to this:

When I create an extrusion it measures it the way it should (for what's possible with 'topbound-botbound').

But when I rotate and duplicate it, the duplicate values 'topbound-botbound' are the same as the width value.

I rotated it in 2d/plan.

Could you check if this works the same with you guys?