Rotate Tool - Alignment Rotate mode

I think all it does is project a third point from a snap on another object down to the working plane to define the "rotate to" position of the lever arm. In my example the working plane is the layer plane and the extrude I'm referencing is floating over it. That said, sometime it generates so super weird previews with your object rotated off into space.

3d rotation in general is pretty bad in VW and something I hope will be improved soon.

Kevin

59a3381f9fedd_ScreenShot.jpg.4121cae18fee70b8f694e46ab4ee2411.jpg

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I think all it does is project a third point from a snap on another object down to the working plane to define the "rotate to" position of the lever arm. In my example the working plane is the layer plane and the extrude I'm referencing is floating over it. That said, sometime it generates so super weird previews with your object rotated off into space.

Interesting, although I seem to get the exact same function/results when using the other mode too...

Me too.

I tried the example from the help - http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/index.htm#t=VW2017_Guide%2FObjects_edit1%2FRotation_by_Alignment.htm%23XREF_22732_Rotation_by&rhsearch=rotate&rhsyns=  - and it works in both Standard Rotation Mode and Alignment Rotation Mode. @JimW you made the help video for this, are we missing something here? :/ (the forums really need a head scratching emoji).

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Alignment mode requires that the third click be snappable 3D geometry, but I don't think there is much point to it any more. I think a number of versions back the way 3D rotation was changed such that snapping to other objects was always allowed rather than forcing screen plane rotation from whatever view you were in. This MIGHT have happened around the same time as automatic working planes but I am not sure, I'll submit and see what comes of it. Might just be a vestigial mode that doesn't need to keep existing.

In my personal experience, I don't think I've used that rotation mode other than when I made that video.

1 hour ago, markdd said:

Thanks @JimWfor that clarification. If it is a redundant mode then it would be good to get rid of it in a service pack to save dopes like me ages trying to figure it out!

Ha I've tried to figure out how to "make it work" in various scenarios myself..... I wonder if there's now user data on how many people use this mode..... :D

I've often wanted a rotate mode that allowed me to define the axis of rotation in the first step....

KM

• Like 1