Big Lag on simple operation - Reproducable.

RussU

Question

Hi Everyone.

I've got a line which I want to divide evenly with locus points.

Go to Modify, drafting aids, then Line into segments. I've been trying various values from 2 to 50 and in all sorts in between, and when the operation completes it takes an age to give me control back (Black screen, spinning mouse timer)

Then, when I realise I want a different value, I Undo... this takes an age too. really bogs me down. happens every single time. Didn't notice it pre SP4, but that's not to definitively blame SP4 for it.

Not sure what's going on under the hood, but to do the same operation with move by points tool, in distribute mode, happens immediately and nicely... But the undo after is still incredibly laggy and slow.

Granted, I do have an imported DWF on another greyed layer behind, but whether it's greyed, invisible, deleted or anything the file still lags.

Done restarts and all sorts, and can replicate every time. Anyone else noticing this?

Windows 8.1 x64 - VW 2017 designer SP4

4 answers to this question

I'm not seeing this here on SP45 on Mac 10.11.6

Try the following:

1.  Open a new blank file (not from a template). Draw a line. Line Into Segments.  Does this lag?

2.  Open a new file from your standard template (if you use one).  Draw a line. Line Into Segments.  Does this lag?

If the above lag, then you have a problem with your install of VW.  Try deleting (moving) your preferences and restarting and see if that helps. If not, then consider reinstalling VW.

If the above don't lag then try:

Open the problem file. Copy the line that you want to segment. Paste into a new blank file. Line Into Segments.  Does this lag?

If the above lags, but the others don't then the problem obviously comes with the line. Submit a Bug Report, Preferably with both files attached so the problem can be reproduced in Maryland.

4 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Does this lag?

Ok...

I need to assume that it's file specific. Can't replicate in a new file, so I take it back.

The only significant thing is that I imported a 850kbDWF file, which in actual fact had a ton of data in it... but the curves and arcs were faceted to a million straight lines, so it was actually very heavy in terms of vertices.

There's an issue where geometry or line work which is miles away from the origin can cause problems, but this one was all tight around the origin...

One other (and tiny issue) is the scale command. where you measure an existing distance, and then input a new one (option 2 in the menu I think)

When scaling stuff this way, you need to either do it four or five times, or change the file tolerance to .001 or similar (I work in metric)

Seems that the initial dim "grab" doesn't load the dialogue with the floating points, so you get an approximation on first attempt. That issue has been around for years, so not flagging anything new.

Sorry to alarm and sensationalise about the locus issue... I'll go further and see if I can replicate it properly... rather than moan straight away.

and yes... I'd love to have access to the last 41 service packs I've missed!!!! ;)