Deform tool not working for 360 degree bend

Kevhurrah

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi Jim,

Thanks for having a look. I figured it out. There are two intersecting lines from 2 blocks, that although they extrude they cause some kind of illegal geometry when I use the deform tool. I solved it by moving 1 block 1mm away form the other. This other way I discover was to use clip Surface in 2D then extrude, and then for some reason it allows a 360 bend.

Kev

Here's some tips about what to watch for in this process. I would approach it slightly differently -

- I adjusted a couple of the blocks so there were no overlapping corners or edges. I also moved one of the blocks in from the end of the base.

- I started with the extruded blocks and extruded solid base. I think you'll find the thin geometry of the base can cause issues so I made mine a little thicker. I also placed it so it overlaps the boxes slightly and combined them into a solid addition. The overlap makes sure the solid addition will have clean geometry.

- I bent the solid addition. @JimWI have consistently had issues with 360 degree bends when using the Deform Tool.. The tool should just "solid addition" any overlapping geometry but at the moment it just fails. For the bend in my example file I did 359.99 degrees. Also, I really wish when the bend failed the Deform tool kept my selection, my pivot point and my active bend rather than having to select everything again.

- I shelled the whole thing after bending. The key to making this work is the slightly thicker base.

- If you want a perfect 360 degree bend, I would patch the gap with a piece of geometry and add it using a solid addition. I've included an example. If you ungroup the Shell you will see what I've done. There's a small geometry flaw because VW slightly facets the bent object. You could get a perfect match if you made your patch by bending another piece and using it instead.

- you could always bend just the blocks combined as a solid addition. Then you could make a circular band, extrude it and add it to the bent blocks. This would give you a nice band with clean geometry.

Kevin M58dfd9dd0385b_ScreenShot2017-04-01at9_48_10AM.png.eef1b014604dbf651b33a28328f3c978.png

3D_deform_structure_KM.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

- you could always bend just the blocks combined as a solid addition. Then you could make a circular band, extrude it and add it to the bent blocks. This would give you a nice band with clean geometry.

Ok, this is a good solution and allows for a perfect 360 degree bend because the blocks don't overlap at the 360 degree mark. New file attached. This give you a nice clean geometry and give you lots of options for getting exactly what you want. Options like -

- how I've approached it, shelling after adding the band.

- or shelling the blocks right after bending but before adding the band. Then you can solid subtract a duplicate of the unshelled blocks from the band and add the shelled blocks to the band giving you the single layer base you were looking for.

Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have questions about the whys of my process.

Kevin M ( I just realized a thread with two Kevins might be confusing)

58dfdd9e4ead8_ScreenShot2017-04-01at9_59_45AM.png.4dfa815cc00330ad34f97125b1181116.png

3D_deform_structure_KM_2.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister