Getting the eyedropper when trying to add truss or lights to a plot

ADresbach

Question

So for the past few days, when I double click on a symbol in the Resource Manager such as truss or a lighting fixture, rather than being able to just place it in my light plot, I'm getting an eyedropper that is blue with a box next to it.  I find the only way to actually use the symbols is to click on the Lighting Instrument Tool on the tool sets- a step I haven't had to do before.  It's really slowing down my workflow.  I've been using VW almost daily for over a year now, and used VW 15, 16, and 17 and never had to actually click on the Lighting Instrument Tool until last Friday.  Is there a setting I somehow changed unknowingly?  My co-workers are not having the same problem I am with the same files, so I assume its a setting I unknowingly switched.  I tried looking through settings, but I don't know what I'm looking for.  Thanks.

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you happen to have a customized workspace? You can check this under Tools > Workspaces, you may be able to switch to the default Spotlight workspace and try it there as well unless the Spotlight workspace is the one that was customized.

If that doesn't work, its possible to reset things back to their default state entirely:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As long as you are not modifying any files on a server it would not affect any server, but if you are using shared network preferences or workgroup folders, get in touch with technical support directly instead and make sure they know how your network preferences are configured before proceeding.

I have had an issue for several years where I am constantly (and quite accidentally) selecting the eye dropper tool as opposed to the insertion tool. I have never actually figured out what does this as every time I really pay attention to my processes to see what is causing it, I can't replicate it. When I am not paying attention and grabbing something from the resource browser I find quite often that the insertion tool has changed to the pick up mode. A couple of taps on the "U" key and I am back up running but just curious if anyone has an idea what I am doing to cause this?  

I see the same.  Eyedropper changes mode on it's own, or, at least I can't detect anything I am doing to change the mode. Typical order of events: Pick up attributes with eyedropper tool, Option click some other object to apply the attributes, use some other tools to do some other drawing or editing, Enable the Eyedropper again (still in Pickup mode), Click to pick the attributes, Option click another object to apply the attributes, do some other stuff with other tools, etc, etc. After about 10 or 12 cycles, the eyedropper manifests in insertion mode.

Can't consistently replicate, but it's surprising when it happens. I'm working on a laptop, so this could be some combo of inadvertent palm touch of the touch pad, or misplaced keystroke.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw