Sign in to follow this  
bcd

VW-Archicad interopabillity

What's the preferred workflow to export from VW to Archicad. IFC seems to get the job done but the results are clunky, DWG maintains the look & feel in 2d but lines and filled polygons.

I thought IFC promised a smooth Wall-Wall, Window-Window translation that would allow work to continue virtually seamlessly after traversing the wormhole.

Edited by bcd

LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT HERE WORKING WITH ARCHS IN ARCHICAD. WE HAVE BEEN EXCHANGING IFC. JUST GETTING THE HANG OF IT AFTER YEARS OF CAD...

Still running into this issue, cant believe it's so challenging to get a clean import/export to/from other software. I would think this would be fundamental. Disappointed. Anyone have a relatively simple workflow for VW to archicad (and/or sketchup/revit) and vice versa ??

On 11.2.2017 at 9:23 PM, bcd said:

I thought IFC promised a smooth Wall-Wall, Window-Window translation that would allow work to continue virtually seamlessly after traversing the wormhole.

No, IFC was never thought to do that (unfortunately)

IFC was thought to get data and information lossless in from other consultants. That works more or less fine.

But it is thought to never touch any foreign data but simple add yours into the complete model.

Everyone is thought to work in their own tools that fit your need.

But if I export IFC to an Archicad user, she can, after unlocking, access most IFC data as true walls, windows and

doors and can edit these. If I get her data, in VW I get in dumb meshes only.

At least from my Revit clients, I get real Generic Solids in by IFC after collapsing.

25 minutes ago, zoomer said:

No, IFC was never thought to do that (unfortunately)

IFC was thought to get data and information lossless in from other consultants. That works more or less fine.

But it is thought to never touch any foreign data but simple add yours into the complete model.

Everyone is thought to work in their own tools that fit your need.

But if I export IFC to an Archicad user, she can, after unlocking, access most IFC data as true walls, windows and

doors and can edit these. If I get her data, in VW I get in dumb meshes only.

At least from my Revit clients, I get real Generic Solids in by IFC after collapsing.

Same here. 

For working with the Archicad clients we work with most we've resorted to importing sketchup. Sketchup retains geometry best as well as their textures/materials. Problem now is I cant figure out how to get an IFC or 3ds back to them without scaling, loss of geometry

If you just need to work together, each on his own part, that would be IFC.

At least in the future. When you will also get Texture and Materials in or

getting a materials table replaced by own App Materials to keep the appearance.

But what most people want to do is a real cross platform collaboration over

different Software while keeping Plugin Objects parametric.

And that does not work so far.

And I think we have to wait another 2 decades for that to happen.

We tried IFC with various settings only to find mssing geometry, missing materials. In the end it was faster and less lossy to exchange a sketchup file and cad plans. Pretty disappointing.