Design Layer Viewports

Hi Everyone.

I've a quick query here.... I don't think it's possible but,

When you have a DLVP with various layers switched on and off, with other geometry around it, and you viewport it into drawings, is there anyway in a SLVP, to override the DLVP visability options?

Say I have a referenced DLVP with three layers. Steel, woodwork, glass... Using only one DLVP, can you display different contents in differing SLVP? Or is that only possible at the design layer?

Probably could have worded it better, but I think you get my drift

I don't think that it* will work.

You have a DLVP and can set the Classes.

The DLVP itself is on a single Class.

When you create a SLVP including that DLVP, you create a "photo" of that DLVP in its current (Class) state.

I think you can't access that DLVP's Class Settings from SLVP to show other states.

You can just switch the whole DLVP on or off.

I think you would need to switch that DLVP off for SLVP and add again a duplicate of it as an SLVP over

your main SLVP to get desired control over other Class states.

We run into this - and I have not found an answer.  

I have come to tell people to think of DLVP and SLVPs as static images - and no outside setting is going to change their appearance.  Obviously, that is an imperfect analogy because you can change their appearance with their settings, but class visibility settings (short of turning the VP on and off) and design layer settings, design layer by color settings are not going to affect the viewports.  I guess they need to work this way - but it does cause times when you need to create five versions of the same overlay design layer viewport so that you can have the various classes and layers correct.  

Yes, That's what I've figured.

What I tend to do now is duplicate the DLVP over and over, on different classes or layers, setting each one to the varying states I need, and then switch them on and off in the viewports as needed.

It's not a major issue at all, as long as you know the restrictions before hand you can structure the file to suit.