dwg export creates big files

this is an old topic, especially when exporting a complex section viewport  with infinite depth range to dwg as "2D graphics in models space". This often results in very big files with plenty of overlaying lines.

I experimented a bit, re-imported the dwg file back to VW and purged the file with option "coincident objects purged". Result: After several minutes of calculating VW reduces the file to almost 20 % of it's original size. 

This file can then be re-exportrted to dwg.

Since this is very odd workflow, I wonder if someone can make a script out of this  ?

On Windows I don't think you can script this. All of the Vectorworks internal scripting is file based, so to export, import into a new file, purge and reexport is not something that is doable.  I guess you could possible reimport into the same file, but I desperately hate the idea of importing into anything other than a blank file. To much chance to mess something up.

On the Mac, this might be doable with a combination of VectorScript and Applescript for the multi-file portion.

Or... you can get a copy of draftsight to open the dwg file and use the "overkill" command to get rid of duplicates and overlapping lines. I'm now assuming draftsight has this implemented. (I'm using both AutoCAD and Bricscad and they do have this feature)

Edited by Art V