What are "structural" and "nonstructural"? (Section viewport merging)

In the advanced properties for section viewports I can choose, under "attributes" tab then under "merged cross sections", "create structural and nonstructural groups".

This sounds potentially useful, as sometimes I want a generally merged section plane, but perhaps picking out significant structural elements that are buried in floor or wall buildups.

But how do I define what's structural and nonstructural? Can I assign certain classes to be one or the other?

Searching for "non structural" turned up a few previous posts about this topic. The best answer was from Biplab in this thread.

Walls, roofs, floors etc are tagged internally in VectorWorks as "structural" elements. Since you are not using conventional building objects - it's a bit difficult. You may write a script which does the folowing on the selected object:

SetObjectVariableBoolean(handle,702,TRUE);

702 is the structural property that you can assign to the object. Once assigned, this will be picked up by the section viewport mechanism.

• 7 years later...