Shell or Offset Surface

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like the Shell Tool to be able to create a shell that doesn't have a surface hole (eg. a hollow object with thickness).

I would also like to be able to offset a solid using the Offset tool (eg. make a solid that's inset or expand by a given distance from the original).

Both of these options should also become available as Marionette nodes.

Kevin

4 answers to this question

Bumping to add support

+1 for shell as offset and no hole, I think.

Does this mean shell a cube and get a bigger cube? I think this is an offset mode, though. Sometimes we want the hole.

+1 offset surface. Some surfaces can already offset, but it's mercurial. I think if there are any inflection points, the offset can only work on the separate surfaces on either side of the inflection. NURBS surfaces seem preferred.

Example, extrude a serpentine 2d poly. This extrude will not offset. Convert it to NURBS, resulting in a group of NURBS surfaces. These individual surfaces in the group will (probably) offset, but not the bunch of them as a continuous offset surface in one go.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
On 22/08/2016 at 3:10 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

I would like the Shell Tool to be able to create a shell that doesn't have a surface hole

@Kevin McAllisterHi Kevin, I recall you mentioning this and I was playing around with shell in marionette and noticed that I could shell a solid object (hollow out without a hole) So the difference is convert the shape to a nurbs and shell and you get a hollow object. The attached is a sphere.

Capture.JPG

Shell_001_v2017.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell