Marquee select like AutoCAD

jimmyreeves

Question

The ability to select all items crossing the marquee when dragging the marquee left to right and selecting all item within the marquee when dragging right to left is a must have. Currently you need to press alt to select items crossing the marquee.

Having to press a modifier key to undertake a fundamental operation does not make sense.

7 answers to this question

^That works well.

But still missing the general option to explicit deselect part of the selection,

to be able to always get my wanted selection.

Currently, if there is any Mesh Object near to your geometry and its virtual (invisible)

boundary cage will overlap your desired selection, it will be selected unwanted.

But if you try to SHIFT+Click the mesh boundary again to correct this, it will not work.

You have to zoom out until you see the real geometry of that mesh and click directly

on that to deselect again.

And even that needed mostly needed 2 attempts for me.

Also in the selectable virtual Cages of mesh objects sometimes are larger than the

geometry itself.

Generally deselecting parts of the current selection by SHIFT+Click does not work

for me until I SHIFT+Click in a blank screen area first.

Also DLVP's are often a problem for unwanted selections.

If you have these visible you will select the Viewports, if you have them grayed,

you will not see all VP content.

Similar to filled Objects in Plan View, as long as you are over one of these, you can't

use the selection marquee - because that means dragging the VP instead.

I am used to have far superior selection concepts in my other CAD or 3D App.

Similar to filled Objects in Plan View, as long as you are over one of these, you can't use the selection marquee - because that means dragging the VP instead.

In plan view hold the Shift key down and you won't drag a filled object when you are using the marquee selection method.

Edited by mike m oz

Yes, shift+marquee works provided you hold down shift first before you start the marquee when you are above a filled (background) object. It will also work with selecting objects hidden by another object if they are smaller than the overlapping filled object.

Without such a background you can hold shift after starting the marquee and it would also work.

It's something that still escapes my attention once in a while if the background is almost the same colour as the window background and then wonder why the objects didn't get selected. :)