What has Vectorworks - what other CAD don't have ?

For me it is is the class/layer system too.

Other things are (compare to AutoCAD and the likes):

- working at scale on intended output page size so that you can see if things will fit instead of tinkering with viewports afterwards and ending up with odd scales or page sizes.

- proper rectangles of which you can edit length/width instead of them being polygons

- object fills instead of hatches that are a separate entitity

- better rendering engine for default settings renders (i.e. not have to set up lights etc. for a decent rendering)

- depending on the CAD program you compare it to, easier to use 3D

Though Bricscad's direct modelling is closer to SolidWorks/SolidEdge/Inventor and then some more than the average 3D modelling as in AutoCAD. It has a few nice things that would be nice to have in Vectorworks too, such as recognizing design intent.

And it runs on MacOS X and Linux as well.

If you need some AutoCAD alternative in addition to Vectorworks this might be one option to take a look at.

Edited by Art V

I think Autocad is not a good scale to compare.

It may be often used, not much by architects here.

And those that I know that have to don't look that happy.

But I agree,

I don't do 2D work but I'm quite confident that VW would print the

way I see my drawings in Sheet Layers.

As far as I remember that was not so easy in my other CAD either.

Yes, geometry always looks quite appealing in VW View Window.

2D Design Options look endless and 2D drawing is fast

Plus the potential to Draw, Render and Layout your competition design in one App.

I mean you can do this in nearly any current CAD but the aesthetic quality level

possible directly from VW don't let you miss other tools like Indesign or

external 3D Apps when time is limited.

Nice to hear some other opinions,

especially in parts of VW that I haven't even touched so far.

the class/layer system seems to be so unique that the new austrian norm (oen a 6241-1), being a preparation for the future bim norm sports the implementation of the layers alone as the main distribution channel for the elements that will be bim objects.

the guys in austria don't seem to take into consideration other applications than revit, archicad or allplan, let alone the ubiquitous autocad.

hopefully the coming bim norm (oen a 6241-2) which will be based on ifc and bsdd (ibim) will make this legacy obsolete.

Edited by gester

another vw unique feature is for me macrobim solely in one application, from the first sketch to the initial calculations, including the site model, and concept renderings for functional-utility purposes.

the best thing in it is the ability to continue the work on the project saturation, and even go back to redesign the concept.

rob

• 1 year later...