Renderworks 2016 "Edges" problem

When I import a few files from VW 2015 and update the viewports which are on mid level Custom Renderworks settings it re renders in roughly the same time as before.

After this it goes through a completely new cycle that says "edges" while the blue bar in the bottom right moves across.

On some renders this can take minutes.

What is this and can I turn it off?

Matt

Edited by Mattheng
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you edit the custom renderworks settings, under the Edges tab, are edges disabled? If not, disable them. If so, turn them off, then back on again and rerender, tell me if it does the Edges phase again.

Also make sure there isn't now a Foreground render on those viewports that might be triggering an Edges phase.

Edges tab? Where is that?

I just checked a render that was set to FQR and it did the same. took another minute too.

I apologise if I am being a bit slow here but the only render mode that I know has an "edges" setting is OpenGl and I am not using that.

Yours in confusion,

Matt

1. You can set OpenGL to use or not use "Edges"

2. You can set a Render Style to use "Edges" (4th Tab in the RS Settings)

3. You can set a Viewport to have any Render Style in the Background and all

kinds of Hidden Lines or Cartoon to Foreground.

If you use 2. or 3.with Edges it will first Render the normal C4D Rendering and

afterwards render the Lines. Both calculations time Bar can you see in the status

bar.

If you don't wan't any Hidden Line Edges or Artistic Styles,

deactivate them in Render Styles and/or Viewport settings.

Sorry, I don't mean to repeat myself but I really cannot find this mysterious tab with "Edges" on.

You have very accurately described the problem with the renders but my real problem is where this "Edges" tab is.

I am not using a Render Style and there are none saved in my file.

I am manually setting up the lighting and render settings and there is no "Edges" tab that I can see.

Could someone please show me how to find it in a Viewport and non Viewport environment because I am totally lost.....?

To be clear, I am not using a foreground render or OpenGl or a Render Style.

This is the panel I see when I want to change the render settings, no "Edges" tab anywhere...

yours in quiet desperation,

Matt

Edited by Mattheng

My fault, i forgot only Renderworks Styles had the edges option.

In that case, no I would not expect Custom Renderworks to have an Edges phase at all. If you create a new renderworks style, you can just set everything to low and then make sure Edges is disabled, if you render the viewport with that style applied to it, does it then do an Edges phase still?

If after it renders with a style, if you switch it back to Custom RW, does it do an Edges phase yet again?

Hmmh,

is there anything called RW if he has no RW ?

I don't know how any settings will look when you have now Renderworks ...

Could you please do another screen shot of your Viewport Render Settings ?

He has Renderworks, he's just using the Custom Renderworks mode, which doesn't offer an options for Edges and thus, shouldn't be going through an edges phase for more than just blinking past it since there shouldn't be any to process.

OK, I got it.

It does not Render Lines in a 2016 file for me.

May be something with imported 2015 files and bad translation of settings.

Anyway, that Custom Style has a Sky Background setting that does not seem

to work/being ignored + it sticks to the Fullscreen Preview Low Res Mode although deactivated.

Send that file in to tech and write up an explanation of the issue and they can test it further, I would not expect (when it's working properly) any Edges phases on renderings that don't include them, especially not ones that don't even have the option at all.

Dave,

This is adding a not inconsiderable overhead to my renderings.

Is there any way I can either

a) turn the "Edges" pass off when I am rendering a viewport

b) find and delete all unfilled objects so that there is nothing for the "Edges" pass to do?

As far as I know all my objects are filled with textures so I would be quite happy to delete all unfilled objects because they should not be there.

In spite of this VW 2016 still does this dratted "Edges" run on every Viewport render....

What exactly is your definition of an "object with no fill" just to make sure we are talking about the same thing..?

Matt

Funny that so many have a "virtual" Edge Pass,

but I don't get one even if I try unfilled Objects in a new clean 2016 file from scratch.

I only get it if I have Edges On in RW Style or use a Foreground Hidden Line mode

in Viewports.

Does the same Edge Pass happen for you if you import you Layers only

in a new file and create a new Viewport ?