Editing Criteria of Databases

whashisface

Question

Would it be possible to allow specific critera to be removed when you edit the criteria of a database?

In the following example I would love to remove the multiple criteria which have been created for different layers [previously to call in multiple layers to the same database] so I have just had two for the ground floor layers.

Currently, if I click fewer choices it removes the bottom criteria which I still need. It's therefore far quicker just to change all the layer criteria to ground floor rather than doing it properly and removing the unwanted layer criteria as I have to find the other functions from scratch again.

If we had more control over which functions could be removed it would make life much easier!

While I'm at it, can we make the field value menu easier to navigate [perhaps with two levels] as it's very time consuming to find field values for items at the bottom of the list [spaces, slabs, etc]!

Thanks in advance!

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-10%20at%2009.30.10.png

4 answers to this question

This is an oft wished for improvement in worksheets. I'll second your wish again here.

It's especially annoying in the case you have, where the last criterion is a field value that you want to keep. (I've also made requests for that list of field values to be collapsable by record format.)

While we're at it, I'd like to add a wish for the ability to control when the criteria GUI places a | or at & between two criteria.

Until the fix comes you can do it manually.

When you get that Criteria dialog box, hit 'Cancel'.

Look in the formula bar. It is pretty obvious what's going on. Delete as many (L='01-FirstFloor') instances and the adjacent '&' or '|' as you want.

Much easier than scrolling through a mile of record format fields!

hth

mk

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What I gather from this thread so far:

In the various places where the Criteria dialog appears, add:

1) A +/- button next to each criteria line so that they can be removed individually without having to delete half the list to remove the criteria in the middle.

(+ would duplicate the criteria line so that a similar line could be created, but - would just remove that specific line.)

2) Quick-search ability in the field menus, so rather than letters just jumping the list to the next "L" when you type "L", it starts cutting all entries out of the list that do not meet the entered characters until you're just left with a few. Similar to how search engine searches function.

3) The non-search mode of the Record Format dropdown should have collapsible sections, or at least a much faster way of switching between them. Perhaps an option that allowed a specific line (or all lines?) of criteria to only offer record formats that were already present within the current document?

This however I was stuck on:

While we're at it, I'd like to add a wish for the ability to control when the criteria GUI places a | or at & between two criteria.

What would be useful pre-set-able circumstances for these that wouldnt just be a huge list of "For this record format default to AND and this record format default to IF" ?

I don't know about presentable, but we seriously need both AND and OR conditions to be set and groupable.

Sticking close to the current interface, I would add the ability to group (add parenthesis) as one option for a "row" and then for any row with a close parenthesis or a real criteria, to set the value for that row to be either AND or OR.

With the above structure, we could make out own groups of AND and OR conditions to satisfy almost any need.

The attached file is a lousy mockup, but might get the idea across.