Classes specific to specific layers

Markvl

Question

Maybe this has been wished for or discussed before.

I had this sudden thought about how you could have a very long list of classes to cover all sorts of objects in a single file.

How about being able to set (or bind) specific classes to specific layers? So depending on a layer that is set only classes that are universal to all layers and those classes that are set(or bound) to the layer would show up in the list. This may be an interesting way of reducing the visible list and managing those classes more tightly.

An example that I have in my work flow is a class called "Roof" and in it I have sub classes like Roof Main, Soffits, Gutters, Fascia and others related specifically to roofs. These classes could only show up on the classes list when I'm currently working in the particular roof layer. I always separate my roofs from the other parts of the model. By extension I would not see classes that are unrelated such as Walls. (Though walls could in many ways be apart of roofs but I'm using this class as an example in a basic way).

Any thoughts out there on pros and cons on this idea? Is there any value in this other than what I've mentioned above?

Cheers,

Mark

7 answers to this question

The problem is that when you are not in the layer that holds your roof object but still want to assign that class you can't select it anymore because you have hidden it.

It would be nice if we were able to do a smart search by typing parts of the classname and the class windows would only show those classes that contain that string.

A middle ground might be that it would be possible to "bind" classes to specific layers and have those "bound" classes to be shown at the bottom of the class list if you are not on the binding layer and at the top of the class list when you are.

That way they would be accessible very easily when you are on the binding layer and probably out of sight when you are not but you would still be able to use them when you scroll all the way down in case it is needed.