how to flaten a nurbs surface

Dubman

I'm trying to make a full scale pattern of a curved surface. Its a 30 degree section of the top of a large bird cage that has an elliptical shape. I created the full top of the cage & then cut it to a 30 degree wedge for construction to cut this shape out of expanded metal.

Is this possible to flatten out to make a pattern?

Thanks for any suggestions

attached is my VW file of the shape

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is an Unfold Surfaces command under Model > 3D Powerpack, however it only works on faces that bend in one direction, like the curved face of a cylinder. It cant unfold your object, but I think this ability should be added for exactly this reason.

If I havent submitted a request on this already (I think I may have), I will do so and add this thread to it.

Thank you Jim, Ive tried everything to flatten the shape with no luck. I wanted to check with you all before I gave up. I thought with unfold surfaces I could do it, that's what I told my boss & construction.

They will have to build the frame & create their own pattern template which I know they could do, I was trying to show off what VW could do, or should do.

Thanks again!

Here's a version unwrapped in Rhino.

The one on the left is unwrapped with a lower tolerance. The one on the right is smashed. Neither is perfectly accurate because of the double curve of the geometry. I would recommend trying a paper pattern to see if its close enough to what you need.

Jim, I would add to that wish -

- add a tolerance function to the current unfold surfaces command. And a label function (see Rhino).

- add a smash command (see Rhino).

- add a function to unwrap a mesh (technically this should be possible since a mesh triangle can only be a flat surface). The user should be able to choose the density of the mesh.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

3DMAX and programs like that will allow you to unwrap a 3d curved object like a face or body, but I don't think VW will do this.

If you are working with flat surfaces you will be able to unwrap it, but if you are going to build it you will be cutting out a triangle and beating it with a mallet to form the concave shape.

Good Luck

3DMAX and programs like that will allow you to unwrap a 3d curved object like a face or body, but I don't think VW will do this.

If you are working with flat surfaces you will be able to unwrap it, but if you are going to build it you will be cutting out a triangle and beating it with a mallet to form the concave shape.

In polygon modellers like 3DS Max its usually for UVs to map textures. The mesh pattern is often different from the mesh pattern used to construct the object.

In this case it would be a very big mallet given the scale of the piece :-)