Wall, roof and floor Volumes?

Hi

I am working on a project which is constructed from Cross Laminated Timber. Basically a solid timber panel.

I have drawn a 3d model using the wall, floor and roof tools so i can IFC it to the structural engineer.

It would be very useful to know if you can find out the volume of all the walls, floors and roof in the model. This is so we can get cost estimates and work out the carbon stored in the wood.

Anyone know if there is a way to get the volume information and it doesn't seem to be shown in the Object information palette.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

update

Found the 'volumetric properties' button. which is nice but i have to work out about 100 panels individually. Is there not a way to make a table/ spread sheet for the objects and add the volume. or even just add it to the Object info panel.

Create a worksheet with a database row.

The criteria for the database will be to isolate the parts you want the volume of. You may want to use multiple database rows, one word walls, one for slabs, one for roofs, etc.

The formula to get you the volume of the object is =VOLUME

It appears that for Walls, the volume excludes the space taken up by doors and windows.

There are also specific functions available to get more information about walls, roofs, etc, including: Wall Gross and Net Area, Roofs Heated and total Area, etc.

In VW2015, with a worksheet open, go to the Worksheet Insert Menu and choose Function to see a list with brief explanations of all the data you can get from objects.

You can also use a =record.field format to pull data from the PIO record (OIP information and more) of objects. See the thread at

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=41665&Number=207338#Post207338

for more information on a way to see all of the record.field information for a specific type of PIO.

I am new to worksheets, having never used them before. Silly really since i have been using VW since it was MiniCad on my dads Mac Colour Classic! I am trying to get into using more IFC comparable objects rather than just lines and rectangles.

What you suggested to get the volume information worked well. However, I have trouble limiting the worksheet to a specific wall in a certain class. is there a way to filter/ limited the worksheet to walls in a certain class?

Also i have named each wall, W1, W2 etc however there does not seem to be a way to show this info in the column.

Let me know if there is a good guide to this somewhere.

Many thanks.

Paul

To limit the data base criteria:

Expose the database header by clicking View > Database header

Then right click on the row header (it will have a diamond next to the number) and choose Edit Criteria from the flyout.

Then from there you can add classes to include or exclude.

If by naming a wall, you mean you've entered a name in the name field in the data tab of the OIP, then the call is =N

If you mean the Mark field of the wall type definition, then the call is ='__NNA_Wall_Style_Format'.'Mark'

hth

mk

• 5 years later...