Upgrade Utility

Bruce Kieffer

Question

We could really use an upgrade utility that with one click can find all of our previous Vectorworks workspaces, settings, libraries, and whatever else is related, and PROPERLY convert those things, and bring them into our next (newly installed) version of Vectorworks. I sure do spend a lot of time customizing a new version of Vectorworks to be similar to how I had the previous version set. I run two computers, so that time is doubled.

FYI... Loving version 2015, well done!

9 answers to this question

+1

I mean what do they want?

$10 per license?

I'll give it to them.

Make a script. Whatever.

This is one of those things that we really shouldn't be having to ask for. It can be like paying for your upgrade twice.

PS, I'm sure I'll also be loving 2015 as soon as I install, but sheesh...please tell us it is impossibly difficult and all will be forgiven.

I was suggesting the utility be part of the upgrade price. Nemetschek needs to make upgrading as easy as possible to encourage users to pay for the upgrades.

bc,

I'm not sure what you mean by impossibly difficult? You should check to see if your system meets the upgrade requirements first, and if it does, then take the plunge. Sure it's work to customize everything, but 2015 is worth the time.

I was just saying that even if it were to cost a bit more I'd be willing to pay as it would be worth it.

Otherwise, if it is, for some unknown reason, simply too difficult to implement, then let us know and we can all move on and continue with the annual reconstructions.

I think it was suggested in a past posting that, given the NNA business decision to move to an annual release cycle, a workspace/preferences migration tool should be provided.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is indeed in the works! It became pretty obvious that with such a relatively rapid release cycle that this would be useful/indispensable especially for users with heavy customization.

The idea being it will automatically transfer anything over that will go without issue and then ask the user what to do about conflicts, tools that no longer exists, plugins that were replaced, etc.

I will add this thread to the case.