Moving light 2D orientation / real world position / MA3D position

Hello. I tried searching for an answer and came up empty..

I want to be able to place the lights on my plot, export to MA3D and program rough positions, hang the lights in the real world and have everything match up.

Is the orientation of the light taken into account with the 2D/3D objects? Are the tails on the side of the lens or away from the lens?

Does anyone have suggestions for workflow? I'd rather not show up to a gig and have to adjust every light's profile on the desk for everything to match up.

I was hoping there would be some sort of indicator as to where the display / cables are on the 3D object.

I'm pretty green to VW so excuse my ignorance if there is an easy answer to this.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The rotation should transfer.

The VW standard is that in a top view the lens faces the top of the page and the tail would be toward the bottom of the page.

All symbols created by VW are under-hung by default.

The VW standard is that in a top view the lens faces the top of the page and the tail would be toward the bottom of the page.

Does the MA23D export command have any sort of "rotation off-set?" (Sorry, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.) I ask because the whip/tail position in reality doesn't necessarily follow VW's convention.

Does the MA23D export command have any sort of "rotation off-set?" (Sorry, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.) I ask because the whip/tail position in reality doesn't necessarily follow VW's convention.

The plugin does have that setting, but it's global per fixture type, and not per fixture, if I recall correctly.

I played around and made my own export script which allows per-fixture 3D rotation, but mine works off my custom Spotlight setup, so it wouldn't work for others.

• 6 months later...