"Ghosted" Rendering

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like VW to add a "ghosted" render mode like Rhino both for editing the model and for presentation in sheet layer viewports. Its incredibly useful because objects feel solid but you can see a faint outline of things inside or behind them. It makes many modelling tasks much easier without having the information overload of wireframe.

Kevin

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Don't greyed layers already do that? (Sorry never used Rhino)

Or perhaps Layer opacity?

Not really. The "ghosted" rendering looks through single objects. For what you're suggesting to work the objects would need to be separated by layer or class.

Here's a comparison of Rhino's ghosted mode (its OpenGL in the editor I believe) and VW OpenGL. Rhino is much nicer to look at / work with for all sorts of reasons.

Kevin

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10440&filename=Screen%20Shot%202014-03-30%20at%208.22.08%20AM.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10441&filename=Screen%20Shot%202014-03-30%20at%208.24.11%20AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I find myself wanting a similar view in 3D often. The Xray tool is fine for quick moments but a full view mode would be quicker and more useful for modelling a complex 3D figure without having to flip back and forth between wireframe and OpenGL.

Submitting request now.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Retina displays are still going to show jaggedness all over the place in VW until that is addressed, so that COULD be a lot of what you are seeing currently.

The other answer is most likely that OpenGL is intended to be a fast, modelling mode, not a final presentation mode and they keep things lower quality by default (that can not be increased to presentation quality by the user) to keep up speed instead.

I feel that the recent OpenGL improvements have been such that it should be usable both as a presentation view at reasonable speed with decent hardware. I'll put in for more control over this quality.

Edited by JimW