need simple window help

When one window is above the floor plan cut plane, how do you stop it from showing in the wall ? In other words ... look at the attached file "window 1" It shows my lower level window in place, and the upper level window nearby, ready to be dragged into the wall. When I drag it down into the wall, it looks like the file "window 2" which is unsatisfactory. I'm sure this is a simple problem for someone who knows how to handle it, but I don't know how. I can not change the 2D component to be invisible, because in other places I want it to show on the wall.

Help please .. thanks .... (using VW 13)

I often need to draw windows above the normal windows that are offset in plan from the other windows and doors in such a way that showing all the windows in a wall in a floor plan would be chaos.

There is a checkmark in the OIP to define a window as a clerestory window that changes the 2D graphics of the window, but if it spans over one or more lower windows, the lower windows will still be covered.

I wish there was a way to define the plane height displayed in the top/plan view. That would allow you to set it at 6' and show the doors and windows whose headers are at 6'8 or 7' and not show the clerestory windows.

I usually create a new layer to deal with clerestory windows.

First Floor design layer would have walls extending up to, say, 7' with 'normal' windows and doors that are displayed in a normal floor plan.

First Floor Clerestory design layer would have wall starting at 7 and extending up to 9' with the clerestory windows. This makes it easier to show them in a separate plan.

hth

mk

thanks for the responses. Maybe this isn't as simple as I thought it was (or should be). If the VW software team is reading this .... I think the suggestion to set the top/plan view at a define-able height is a great idea.

MichaelK: isn't the 'separate layer' idea cumbersome if you're building a 3D rendering model that is also the 2D floor plan? If you move/change the wall on one layer, then you have to move the same wall on the 'clerestory' layer.

It's a little cumbersome, but it's the best way I can find to get the plan view to come out right.

I usually draw the main design layer first with all the "regular" doors and windows. Then I duplicate all the exterior walls and move them to the clerestory design layer. Delete all the windows and doors and put in the clerestory windows.

If I have to move a wall, then for that operation I set the layer options to show/snap/modify.

Not perfect, but it works.

mk