DTm lack of memory

steve s

I made a new dtm, but cannot do anything with it, I have to keep saving to new file as getting the Out of Memory error. Is there any way I can fix it without starting over. Can I run smooth Polys or something on the Source Objects?

I made the DTM by Polylines then converting to polygons then ran Survey Input 2d polys to 3d contours and also had stake objects, I suppose its fairly complex not a huge site though.

Does the scale matter?

I have plenty of ram, turning off all layers but the site model doesn't help.

Thanks for any help

hi, steve.

yes, this is one of my irritations, as i work with large, hilly sites. a fundamental practice is to make everything as simple as possible from the beginning, as peter describes, but then going forward as well. the dtm tool is in my opinion the best available for design work, compared to other modeling and/or bim software. but, the memory problem is a pain in the butt. it seems to be cumulative. so, as you develop your design constantly ask how many vertices you actually need. that goes for texture beds, pads, etc.

usually the first indicator for me is when mesh smoothing suddenly stops working. further reductions in model complexity help get it back.

cheers,

ray