Upgrades & permissions

Benson Shaw

Question

During install, each new Vectorworks version replaces the icons of all vwx files with the new version icon and the permission is changed to Open With the newest version. I am having to change Open With permissions for lots of individual files so they open in native version. Many of my older files have no version moniker in file name, so I don't even know which version is native except by trying it in each older version (permissions used to show the version number, but not anymore).

I wish the installer would leave the old file icons & permissions intact so that every file would continue to open in its native version.

Or is there already a way to avoid the icon & permission conversion?

Companion wish:

Add an option in prefs for file name to append the version number, eg MyFile_v2013.vwx or MyFile.013vwx or similar

-B

4 answers to this question

+1 more

yes, i'm experiencing this for the first time--due to the lousy quality control in 2013 forcing a switch back to 2012 (sorry, i can't hold that back)--i now have a mess of file management issues that i have to address one file at a time as i need them--a minor problem, but greatly distracting. simply maintaining the original icon would help.

ray

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

From what I understand, this is an OS issue. After installing a new version of VW, the OS is told to use the new icon for files with the ".vwx" extension. Since the older version VW files use the same extension, they're also shown with the new icon. BTW: In ancient times, Mac OS 9 and earlier dealt with this differently where each individual file stored its own icon.