Walls: support for separating cavity walls, two structural cores

Christiaan

Question

10 answers to this question

What do people think is less onerous?

1. Model separating party cavity walls with two walls, so I can auto-bind the slabs to them properly and join wall cores properly? But then have to manage two walls and can't insert doors without having to create a separate opening in the other wall.

2. Model them as one wall, so I can insert doors without needing to create a separate opening in the other wall? But then have to manually manage slabs.

#BIMfail

Edited by Christiaan

As a workaround:

Could you define & use a wall-style that treats both cores & cavity as a single component and replace it with the correct wall-style later in the project.

I understand this doesn't resolve the problem nor negate the reasonableness of the request but may help in the meantime.

Your slabs could be bounded and doors easily placed.

Thicknesses & positions would be correct,

Component joins would need to be done once the wall is replaced.

Slab would not always be bounded correctly. Some slabs need to go to through one core and not the other. The slab will only be correct when it doesn't need to go through it.

What do people think is less onerous?

1. Model separating party cavity walls with two walls, so I can auto-bind the slabs to them properly and join wall cores properly? But then have to manage two walls and can't insert doors without having to create a separate opening in the other wall.

2. Model them as one wall, so I can insert doors without needing to create a separate opening in the other wall? But then have to manually manage slabs.

#BIMfail

I tried the two, and I can tell you that VW doesn't handle two walls very well, especially with wall joins. It really flips on them.

I know find it easier to draw the walls as one, and clip the slabs. I know it's some work to clip the slabs, but it's easier than redoing all wall joins over and over again and finding your slabs unbounded every time.