Vectorworks Viewer, ARWorks, 3d Pdf

Benson Shaw

Question

A post in the general forum asks how to use the VV. Responses in the thread soon turned to critique of the viewer. So here's the can of worms again in the wish list.

I always wonder what Vectorworks Viewer is designed to do? What is the intent? Is it widely and successfully used?

I think it might be useful for display/print/redline of 2d plan sets. Pdf readers offer almost all the features. The Vectorworks 3d workflow is way ahead of that.

I have suggested to several print shops that they could download the viewer and print my docs in native format. No takers. They want pdf. Clients and consultants want pdf or dwg. Most of them work on protected networks and need admin approval to add software.

Renderworks is not included in the viewer, so high quality view/print is not available.

Unified View not included, so only the simplest model is easy to view/print.

ARWorks is, um, not to my liking. I tried. Really, I did. Can't see what's so great about it. Why is ARworks pushed to Vectoworks users? I hope someone will say they use it and explain why it is great.

My vote goes for the 3d pdf. It is working very well with many kinds and versions of graphics and design software. The interface is familiar enough that novice users can succeed.

End Rant.

-B

3 answers to this question

Graphisoft seemed to have actually asked themselves this question: http://www.graphisoft.com/products/virtual-building-explorer/

In the long term it would be nice to have an industry standard, open source, open standard, web browser and IFC based solution that lets clients view and walk through projects in a game-like way (with gravity etc) and make comments. No one would have to download, install and learn how to use separate software.

As to the VW viewer, can't say I've ever had reason to recommend it to anyone.

There used to be a VR format where one could create a walkthrough video game style file that could be used by anyone IF they had the right plugin for their web browser. It was limited to pretty simple geometry though.

I don't think we live in that world anymore. Which is also why I don't really see the value in ARworks. Or rather, the value is only in the vendor who has the plugin and can be there to present to the client, who does not have the plug in, nor the inclination to get it.

My clients want me to give them the walkthrough, either by being there to move them around through it, or to generate a compelling enough movie that they can load and play on any browser (quicktime). Either way, the burden is upon the creator of the presentation, not the one being presented to.

The same goes for the Viewer. PDF's are the global standard there, and so there is no reason to create a viewer that no one is going to use. I think 3d pdf is compelling, but again, I worry about the end client who most of the time is content to open a pdf and scroll around, maybe mark it up if they even know that ability exists.

What would be helpful for VW is to have better interface with already existing industry standard software. Better interface with excel (databasing), photoshop (rendering: multi pass renders, alpha channels, texture editing), C4d (animating, higher end rendering), autocad et al (working with other file formats, import export)....and so on.

OK, I thought of one good use for the Vectorworks Viewer. A client/builder/fabricator could receive the file and take detailed measurements without owning the full software. But aren't we seeing pdf measurements now, too?

Most builders & fab shops I have contact with are using some other CAD software, if they use CAD at all. They often have the lite version, but it is fully functional for dims, navigation, markup, etc. For that, I am into the realm of exporting VWX to other formats, which, as Grant points out, is not always optimal.

My experience is same as Grant's. Clients want the live presentation. Occasionally a client requests a video flythrough, but that's browser or QT, or WAV, etc, not a Viewer function.

I agree that the interoperability needs great effort.

The Viewer? Maybe not so much.

-B