Mapping window NO! more in 2011?

Good day All

What happened to Renderworks!!??

Did it go back to the Stoneage?

I note that in 2011 in the OIP-Render part there is NO! pop-up window for Mapping textures like in VW12.

Also most of it is greyed out so I cant even set the scale of a texture in Plane.

How do I you visually move a texture into place without a Pan tool.

This is really frustrating!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by cad@sggsa
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Carl

Renderworks has had a huge overhaul since Vectorworks 2011.

Take a look here for a migration guide, but you can now use the Attribute Mapping tool to scale and map your texture. But it also depends on the object you have applied the texture to as to which controls are available on the Render tab.

You can download my free migration guide here...

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/Buy_Vectorworks/Renderworks.aspx

Carl

Renderworks has had a huge overhaul since Vectorworks 2011.

Take a look here for a migration guide, but you can now use the Attribute Mapping tool to scale and map your texture. But it also depends on the object you have applied the texture to as to which controls are available on the Render tab.

You can download my free migration guide here...

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/Buy_Vectorworks/Renderworks.aspx

Thank you Tamsin.

Looks great and all, but I still don't know where to do the mapping of the texture etc.

Please see attached a screenshot. Notice the greyed out tools in the OIP/Render Tab.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Hi Carl,

It sounds like you are having similar frustrations to mine in this thread -

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=32888&Number=162166#Post162166

Greyed out options have to do with which texture shaders are active in a particular texture. Unfortunately there isn't proper documentation anywhere that details what affects this (ideally there would be a table the showed when items would be greyed out based on shader).

Anyway, since there was no concrete solution I am still guessing just like you.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Read your post and yes, What a freakin dissapointment!!

I was on 12.5.3 and the freedom I had and userbility to place a texture(image) to an extrude of say a screen surface was effortless. Now you have to battle your @$$ off to try and get a sutable texture that would work, not the way to go, as clients would give you one logo to be shown on screen, and then change it to a backlit image9I do not see where I could edit this)

In fact I still have not been able to do so, never mind editing an old one.

@ Nicholas: does not matter if it is in Perimiter or plane in certain texture and defualt is Perimiter so I did go to all options to see WTH!

When you uncheck auto align and perimeter there are more stuff greyed out...

I serious am NOT impressed with what they did as this is a DOWNGRADE from VW12!!

What I suggest is that that do a SP and add what they add in VW12 to 2011.

I will go look for an image of what the mapping page looked like as I do not have VW12 anymore.

Thought each version would be better, but it seems we are on a downward spiral here.

PS I cannot afford C4D so Im stuck with this stupid setup...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by cad@sggsa

What a FREAKIN MISSION!!! to map a Texture!!!!

Got it to an almost aceptable standard.

but the Scale slider keeps jumping around, or rather resetting it self to the value you selected on the slider, not tiping it in.

Then to move the bloody thing you need to manually insert the values by geussing what they would be? WTH is this MS-DOS!?!?! and the curser does not even stay active in that tab, so got to click then type, then click again and type. repeat to change.

Why cant we just have back the Move and rotate tools to edit the mapping??!!??

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yeah - Attribute Mapping was my original answer! But with an extrude, to use this tool, you will need to convert the mapping to planar which will allow you to map the texture on a chosen surface of the extrude, but will also cause the texture to run through the object. This is not new behaviour.

If you want better control over different planes on the extrude, you could try Modify > Convert > Convert to Nurbs. Then your object will be many separate objects all of which can be textured independently.

OH! OK

Will have to master this new tool

I still have a problom with the issues as mentioned by Kevin and the way the new tool is setup I think is wrong as now I need to group a singe extrude to edit it as all is done in the drawing.

The window worked well as it was seperate of the drawing and no obstruction by other things in the drawing.

Will try the convert thing too.

Thank you all