Key to Instrumentation Font Size

Andy M

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Andy, i'm sure there's someone out there that can help, but it would be easier if you could put your system details in your profile so your problem can be addressed without having to ask what setup you are using. VW version, Mac/PC, MacOS/Windows, etc. etc.

Just so i understand. . . . . . . . is it the drawing font you wish to fix, or the interface font you wish to change?

Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs, so sorry in advance, but . . . .

If it's just a drawing spec you wish to standardise, create a new document, set it up as you wish using all the available Document Prefs, OpenGL Pref, Smart Curser Settings, Units, Text etc. etc. then with your new blank VW Drawing, Save it as a "Template".

Now when you need to start a new project use the Template and each Doc maintains a similar appearance, setup.

Hope this is of some use. Anything more complex and you'll need the assistance of "One who Knows!"

:)

HI Andi,

thanks for your response.

and the tip about my profile.

Its the font size of the text that appears in the Key to Instrumentation when you create it that I would like to pre -set

I find it doesn't matter if I make a template with the font size changed, it still won't effect the text that appears in the 'Key to Instrumentation'.

Maybe this is because when you create a KTI, there are three different font sizes in play.

1. for the Instrument Title - Font size 5

2. for the Instrument Symbol names and tally numbers - Font Size 4

and

3. for the Titles that you include in the KTI - Font size 3.

That there are 3 different font sizes might be the reason why you can't change the default, or why you can't set this size..

I always end up changing the font sizes for all the text that appears in the KTI.

So yes I need "one who knows", how this might be done or achieved

Anyone??

And thanks in advance.

Andy

MAC User

VW2011 Spot/Designer Since VW10

At this point Andy may i suggest you try a post under the VectorScript section.

As these chaps all fiddle with the deeper aspects of getting VW to do what they want it to do, there may well be a "Scrabble Genius" therein that could have a solution for your dilemma.

No guarantees of course, but never hurts to ask . . . . . . :)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Key To Instrumentation is just a simple group. When it is created it is created with the document default text attributes. If you want to edit anything about the Key to Instrumentation just enter the group and change the text attributes.

HI Kevin,

yes, but if the text was all the same font size before creation could this not be preset some how other than entering the group to edit it. The font sizes that are used on creation are always to small to read when I place the KTI onto a sheet layer.. that was a A4, or A3.

It just seems a little tedious to have always change this text the same way.

Its the same when you update the KTI.. it re creates it back to the same small font size.. so once again you have to enter the KTI... re size all the fonts.. move them left and right..adjust the width.. its a lot of work...

Andy

This seems to harp back to the same complaint resonant in so many cases with VW, so, please forgive me for again sounding like a stuck record, Kevin, but my understanding of the ideology behind CAD is "to make things easier, NOT more complicated!"

At present despite many aspects that do improve the "TD drafting" aspect of drawing there are still twice as many idiosyncrasies present in VW that do the opposite needing far too many longwinded processes to carry out simple tasks.

Two Clicks, not ten! Understandable, Functional, Simple, Intuitive, Immediate and Lockable so that once done you can forget about it.

yes I agree..

id love to see some real advancements on the following

Label Legends - working in 3D, rounded edges on shading..

Light Positions - Rotating Text on the Light Position name...

Key to Instruments - A Once create and Once update function.

As a Spotlight users I use these functions a lot but I haven't seen any development on them since I started using VW10 some 8 years ago...

Im sure other users would like to see some advancements in these functions..

thanks

A