Learning Revit

Good morning,

My wife, who is an Architect, is planning on going back to work this coming year, after raising 3 kids, and is learning that she will need to know how to use Revit as that is what is used at her previous firm, Centerbrook Architects. She is very good at AutoCad and wants to know if it is an easy transition to Revit or is it a whole new learning curve. I'm a long time user of VW with iCad but only for interior remodeling, kitchens etc. Is VW closer to Revit than AutoCad etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

John

I'm in the process of learning Revit and it is not like any other program, where ADT is like VWs and to a degree similar to ArchiCAD.

Revit is 99.9% parametric objects, that is a whole new way of thinking, anything not available as standard means learning how to create Parametric objects (Families) from scratch, no easy to get your head around I assure you, though it seems a lot is possible though.......on the other hand coming from AutoCAD moving to a 3D program is going to be a challenge as is.

Edited by Vincent C

AutoCAD is just a cad program without any intelligence.

Vectorworks is a cad program that has some bim intelligence.

Revit is fully bim.

I'm also learning Revit myself. I've been using VW from version 7 and although I just know the basics of Revit, I prefer Revit. Everything in Revit is user controlled therefore I can get the drawing to look exactly the way I want to. Also because of the Revit Parametric Technology, I can have full control over the variables to windows, doors or other families (families are similar to VW symbols/plug-ins). I find the whole process of bim far more user friendly. From a learning point of view, it will be faster in Revit to become productive (eg. in Revit, you don't have to worry about settings to Classes, Layers, Stories).

Vectorworks is a whole lot better than AutoCAD but I think Revit has the edge over VW. Besides, Revit seems to be a much more polished software than VW (eg. in the link below, VW has all of these shortcomings which Revit isn't affected by)

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=32741&Number=161227#Post161227

Good morning,

My wife, who is an Architect, is planning on going back to work this coming year, after raising 3 kids, and is learning that she will need to know how to use Revit as that is what is used at her previous firm, Centerbrook Architects. She is very good at AutoCad and wants to know if it is an easy transition to Revit or is it a whole new learning curve. I'm a long time user of VW with iCad but only for interior remodeling, kitchens etc. Is VW closer to Revit than AutoCad etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

John

Merry Christmas and Happy 2012 to you, too!

I guess your wife does not have a choice in this matter. Revit is hard to learn for most people with only Autocad experience (so she's got plenty of company). It may be better for her to take an intro class, just to get the concepts understood - it's not like Vectorworks or Sketchup, where you learn just by doing. And some offices require Revit users to put regular weekly hours in practicing it, to keep from losing the skill level. She can find lots of FAQ on Revit discussion boards such as these:

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=220

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/bd-p/133

http://www.revitcity.com/forums.php

Edited by Bob-H

Thanks to all replies, really appreciated. We'll do some more research but it looks daunting! We did get a quote from a local training center of $27,000 for a 6 month course on Revit. So it looks like she's still working with me in my small company. We do interior design kitchens,bathrooms etc. so she's not getting a good workout with 'Architecture' although it is fun to be creative on a smaller scale.

Take care and may your troubles last as long as your New Year's Resolutions!

John