Looking For VW 2011 trainer Cleve Ohio

Im looking to get some training on creating a simple site model and a figure out how to use site modifiers correctly. I have fumbled thru alot of it but really need someone who can bring me thru the rest.

Im trying to import a DWG survey

The order of workflow I have been taking:

1) Import the DWG.

2) Select the file and where it states "Architectural Objects" I leave this as 2D

3) Then the next msg window has a drop down menu for "Convert Objects to" and here I was told we want to make all objects 3d as seen below.

4) Then once the drawing is imported I take all the objects in the AutoCad Design Layer copy them and place them into a blank document in VW.

5) I then turn all layers off and turn only major and minor contours remain on. I select these and then AEC>Terrain>create site model. Then turn all the layers back on.

Here is where things tend to get interesting. If someone In the Cleveland Ohio area is interested in this please let me know or simply post a reply. I have VW with a laptop and can easily travel to a location that suites the trainer. I am willing to pay for the session and can work around your schedule.

Edited by HEengineering

There has to be some people in Cleveland that use Vectorworks 2011?? Ive been using it for over 5 years now and have no problems working in the 2d world. We only deal in 2d Ive dabbled in 3d. I notice the AEC model has a 2d and 3d model so Im not sure if one would need good 3d experience. It also appears that some of what Im trying to do would require Landmark?

Cipes I was just reading an old post of yours where it seems you were doing something similar. I guess my issue is what is the work flow once the model is created. If I want to show a road leading to a square compound. That road could have a bend or 2 at the most. My boss wants me to be able to "grade the existing contours" by generating a model for the client. So the finished model would show what grading would be needed and show the existing grading as well as the proposed in one 2d plan. When I convert my 3d polys that represent the road to site modifiers they dont show up in top/plan. I just think my workflow is the issue after creating the model itself. If that makes any sense.

When I explore how to make a road in the manual it often refers to landmark. Some have stated it can be done in Architect. We really work in the 2d world so this is all new to me. Boss isnt to interested in having someone come in to show us. So I have to play with the cards Im dealt. It is really hard to know if your headed in the right direction without some guidence. Nobody in my office has any idea and Im of course the guy who has to "figure it out."

Edited by HEengineering

If you have the NURBS ROADWAY tool that's where I would start. It's very cool because it allows setting of centerline grade points/slope/etc., and can more or less automatically be used as a Site Modifier to alter the existing Site Model. If not, it is still possible to create a NURBS SURFACE to use as the road, however I would need to tinker around a bunch to see if that object can be used as a Site Modifier (I've never tried it)...

Of course, if you know the exact location of the new topography you can draw the proposed (altered) contours as open poly's and use those as PADS (surrounded by a BOUNDARY) to modify your Site Model... Each new contour/poly would need to be made into a PAD via MODIFY>OBJECTS FROM POLY>SITE MODIFIER...

Ok. I was able to use the Road 3d nurbs and it appears to work. When I entr flyover mode or go to isometric views it appears to be working. However when I go back to top plan and update the model it does show anything but my existing contours. No proposed. Is the 3d model independent from the 2d? Do i need to make a 2d modifier in order to see the changes in the 2d model?

Edited by HEengineering

Because every DWG is not created equal, and because I don't have your DWG file it is impossible to say. I try to avoid importing a DWG directly into a working VW's file. Instead I import it into a new clean file and then either reference or copy/paste in place only the data I need into my working file. To create a good Site Model requires either good uninterrupted ploys (contours) or points. Often I find myself needing to carefully check and fix the 2d contours before using them to create the Site Model...

Right. Thats exactly what I do. It appears the the SRF is the correct class to use as I have talked with a VW rep today. However the VW rep was inclined to use the pad and boundry technique. Seems each show the same results. They also came upon some glitches so its hard to determine when Im right and the program is wrong. I could send you a file if your willing to take a look at it in your spare time.

Edited by HEengineering