"Imprint" of 2D lines and curves onto 3D surfaces

Kevin McAllister

Question

6 answers to this question

Great suggestion Kevin, there are numerous ways of reaching the required results, but a dedicated tool would save a lot of work to get there.

I really would prefer NV to get the 3D tools it already has in it's arsenal to work completely and correctly but hey, it never hurts to ask!

:)

Yes, Kevin

Tool or maybe command? LIke the DTM Send to Surface?

VW Contours Tool in the 3d tool set is another partial workaround for the imprint wish, but it's limited to parallel planes. Contours Tool could be used similar to creation of the beam array in the FZ videos.

Those FormZ beta videos have caused lots of comparison and consternation for Vectorworksers, including myself, who want similar functionality or at least the seeming ease of use. I say seeming because the videos are produced by a longtime user and creator of the program - he's really good at it. We do not know how much planning, practice, redos and edits preceded the video release.

-B

Yes, that's a workaround I use all the time.

I am wishing for a proper tool. FormZ essentially adds these elements to a surface as breaks in the object, allowing you the option to push/pull them, texture them differently etc.

KM

Well the Project tool does split the surface, but then the surface can neither be pulled because it's not a plane, nor can it be extruded.

It has the added disadvantage of punching a hole right through the object. Perhaps this is an "advantage", but the option to do either would be better.

Enabling the Push Pull tool to work on non-planar surfaces would go most of the way there wouldn't it?