Demolition drawing

domer1322

I've been puzzled for a long time how to handle this frequent situation. When I have an addition to an existing building, I'll draw the existing bldg on one layer. Then I draw my new plans on another layer. When I show both layers in a viewport, the view will show the new and old stuff together. But there is always some portion that gets demolished (like walls where a new doorway is built).

What is the best method for "erasing" the old stuff that gets demolished ? That is, how do I make the demolished stuff be invisible ? I need to keep the old stuff in the drawing file, since another viewport will show existing conditions without the new stuff. The doorway problem is a common issue, since I can't make 2 walls in different classes and then turn off the class for the demo wall .... if I move the door, then I have many changes to make, and the door doesn't automatically heal to the 'new' wall.

(..)give all "demo" walls zero height, that way they are properly shown in top/plan and pretty much disappear in 3d views. Makes working in the early remodel design/raw modeling phase pretty painless.(..)

but not if you have to calculate the amount of the demolished substance...

rob