issue with fillet tool

Joris

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with the fillet tool: it won't work on polygons. Strangely it seems to be happening just in my project file... Because when i open an new document and create a polygon I can use the fillet tool without any problem.

For example, to fillet a rectangle I need to decompose it into individual lines, then apply the fillet. Finally I need to compose it again to get a polygon with a fillet.

Any ideas on this? Thanks a lot!

Joris

Joris,

The fillet tool works on polygons; we use this feature all the time.

You should

1. post the file in which you are having the problem.

2. Install a "signature" that describes the version of VW you are using, and your computer specs, for better answers.

Why would this happen in your 'project' file but not in a new one? Perhaps your project file is from a previous version, or something like that?

What Mitch Brooks said, plus

Assuming recent version of VW, the 2d Fillet Tool, in the Basic Palette, should work on a rectangle, polygon, polyline corner (not spline or bez points), skewed line segments and many other 2d objects and between pairs of objects created by VW.

Are there other indicators when the tool does not work? Does each edge highlight as you hover to operate the tool? Do you get a fail dialog? or red "Fail" box at lower right of drawing window? or a tone after second click?

Ideas:

Corrupt object? Draw a new object in the problem file and try to fillet with a reasonable radius. Does that work?

The fillet may not work on 2d objects imported from other software. Recreate/trace the problem objects with VW tools. eg with the Polygon tool in bucket or lasso mode.

The second highlight may not show when filleting btw 2 arcs. Not all radii will work btw two objects.

The fillet radius may be so small that it is hard to see (small layer scale w/ big rectangle?). Zoom in, or increase the radius.

Post back with progress. Hopefully you already solved.

-B

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm using VW 2009 SP2, on OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) As for uploading the file, i'm not sure how to do that... is there an attachment function?

The problem is still not resolved, I did find out that it occurs only on design layers. Not on a sheet layer.

Also, I'm very sure that it does not have to do with a too small/big radius. And the problem occures even when trying to fillet a simple rectangle I've just drawn. The edges do highlight as normal when hovering with the tool, and there is no error message. In fact nothing happens.

Im doubting about copying/pasting everything to a new file but that it is quite some work to set up all the viewports and layers again. Maybe it would be possible to somehow restore the file in some way?

Thanks again for your feedback

Joris

To add a file use File Manager in the Full Reply feature of this forum. Access Full Reply by clicking the "Reply" button (not "Quick Reply") at bottom of a post to which you are replying, or in the reply area at end of each forum thread click the big "Switch to Full Reply" button.

Near bottom of the full reply window is blue text link for File Manager.

Click the File Manager link

Click "Choose File" (browse your hard drive to select file you intend to add)

Click "Add File" to add the file you just selected.

Click Done Adding Files. You are returned to your post. Submit post when ready.

Good luck!

-B

Here is my project file. I've removed most layers to reduce file size and to simplify.

If you draw a rectangle (in the design layer) you will find that the fillet tool doesnt work. Also if you try to fillet the existing polygons.

(edit: i've removed the file, problem is resolved)

Edited by Joris

Hi, Joris - I think that file is corrupt. I get same results you report.

My VW2009 is SP5

1. When I opened your file, there was an "Illegal File" warning indicating the file comes from an unregistered license or other license problem. But file did open. Contact your distributor to verify that the license is valid.

2. I drew a rectangle on your Design Layer. Could not fillet the rectangle. Could not fillet your big polygon However, the tool did create a fillet between two line segments. As your report, the Fillet Tool works as expected in the sheet layer, both on the "inside" and "outside" the Viewport.

3. In a new, blank VW2009 file the fillet tool operates as expected on new rectangles and other objects in the design layer.

4. Also, I selected all from your design layer and pasted it in to a new blank file. Fillet tool works as expected in this new file. Maybe this problem will be solved by pasting everything to a new, blank file?

-B