Grouping classes?

Shachar,

Welcome :) !

The black dot you are referring to is a category containing sub categories. It's created by putting a dash ( - ) in your class name. For example:

Set - Framing

Set - Faces

Set - LX

Would all appear under the category of Set and then the individual classes within. Not sure if there is a way to mass turn them all on or off though..

Cheers,

James

Shachar -

It is good to see you here!

Bring on the questions. Between this forum and the different mailing lists, I think you'll find the VW community more than willing to share.

As to your question, James filled you in on how "-"s can be used to create Class structure. The other thing to consider is using numbers in your Class names to over-ride VW's wanting to alphabetize the Class list. Used together, these two hints can make even a long Class list pretty easy to navigate.

Have a good one!

Andrew,

Thanks I actually downloaded your template to see how you would set it up and it helped a lot.

Here are couple of questions:

Is there a way to turn on and off the snap? on AC I will hit F3 to turn it on and F3 to turn it off. on vworks i know i can hit and hold ` but i would like the same option with out holding the ` key.

How can I select more then one item without holding the shift key?

where can i find simple 2d/3d/hybrid symbols for 6ft tables with 3 chairs? if i have them on ac can i import them and save them as a vworks symbol?

Shachar,

You can go to the snapping palette and toggle the snapping functions you desire.

I am assuming you know about dragging the cursor across multiple objects, while pressing the left button. You have various marquee options such as lasso,rectangle, etc.

I think there is a basic table and chair symbol in one the Vectorworks libraries, but you can also import one of your cad symbols and use them. Just import the cad file into VW and move the symbol to the folder or drawing you like.

I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck,

Steve

Snaps -

As Steve mentioned, there is a snapping palette where you can toggle all the various snap types on and off. Double clicking on one of the snap types in the palette will give you a dialog for options for that type of snapping.

Learn the key shortcuts for the snap toggles. They map to the keyboard -- qwer/asdf -- so it's fairly easy. I'm switching around my snaps all the time. Most often if I'm drawing lights and positions for I plot, I'll only have snap to grid on (and I change the defaults to 3" snap, 18" reference -- the defaults are sort of useless), then toggle snap to grid off and most of the other snaps on if I'm drawing other objects.

Compared with ACD, VW is a highly tactile drawing experience, so once you get use to using the cursor snaps effectively, you will want them on 98% of the time, so the "`" toggle will make more sense.

Multi selecting -

Holding down the shift key is the mechanism for multiple selection. If you're looking for a sort of shift-lock, it doesn't exist. To expand on what Steve said, drawing a marquee (click, drag) will select all objects within the marquee. Option/alt dragging will select objects within and touching the marquee. Unlike ACD, the direction of the drag makes no difference.

If you are using VW2011, look at the select similar tool. It's really useful.

Table and chairs -

In the furniture tool set, there is a table and chairs plug-in object. It lets you specify a number of particulars and gives you a customizable hybrid object fairly quickly. Also look through the symbol libraries available via the resource browser (Vectorworks Libraries...>Libraries>Objects...).

HTH,

Josh

PS, consider adding your VW version and OS to your signature, which helps responders tailor our comments.