Video Cards -- Nvidia Quadro FX vs GeForce

Hi all,

Yes, I know this is a tough question but I'm building a new system from scratch and am still flipping between video cards. I don't want to spend $1000 on a video card but in reading through all the posts and the knowledge base, the Nvidia Quadro FX is recommended.

Saying that, the GeForce appears better (faster) but I don't really know how the Quadro series differs from the GeForce or how it interfaces with VW (Spotlight).

So... opinions...

Nvidia Quadro FX 580:

512mb GDDR3

128-bit

25.6 GB/sec

PCI-E 2.0

32 x CUDA cores

Open GL 3.0

DirectX 10

VERSUS

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560:

1gb GDDR5

256-bit

128 GB/sec

PCI-E 2.0

336 x CUDA cores

Open GL 4.2

DirectX 11

Thanks,

Dave

For the GeForce series get the GTX570. Best bang for the buck.

Do not know how well if at all VW utilizes Quadro cards.

I should think there would be something at VW website about this.

All you VW Gurus, please chime in.

Most CAD software uses the CPU for the better /best renderings not the GPU (graphics card).

This has been an on going issue with most CAD software.

I do hear that ACAD (harumph) does utilize the GPU.

This is as it should be.

What is the point of spending big money on a great graphics card if the software (CAD) will not utilize it?

imho

taoist

Edited by taoist

Hi Dave

As you've noticed, for the similar money, the Geforce is a lot more powerful than a Quadro based on the Cuda Cores (which is the most important). Also if you read on the net some people actually have hacks that will make their Geforce (certain cards) into a Quadro.

So the main difference is firstly the drivers. The drivers of the Quadro card are meant to get more of the card. If you ignore cost for a moment and compare 2 equal "Cude Cores" cards, the Quadro will be faster because of the Drivers. Nvidia has put something in the hardware so the drivers can only be used for the intended card but as I said there are hacks for certain cards where one can use Quadro drivers with a Geforce card.

The other difference is the build of the card. I haven't tested this myself but the Quadro cards are meant to be more durable. It's meant to run in a workstation for long stretches and it'll manage and cope with the stresses. The Geforce card isn't meant for long runs at 100% usage all the time. You'll have to add things like liquid cooling, etc.

I would suggest you go for a Gtx 560/570. I went for a Gtx560 with 2GB ram because if you use software like Octane Render, it will only use ram of the graphics card.

HTH,

Thanks for the replies!

I'm adding my own, more-informed, two cents now:

VW is built using the more "consumer-grade" drivers for the GTX cards rather than the Quadro. The Quadro drivers are more based for the AutoCAD architecture and will generally NOT help with any performance on VectorWorks. Also, Nvidia regularly updates the GTX series of drivers whereas the Quadro drivers are not updated as much because the core graphics architecture of AutoCAD-based products doesn't change as often.

So the formal recommendation to me has been to go with the GTX series of cards.

I building the new box today and will post reviews as soon as I can.

Dave