import PDF not possible with VW2008 Fundamentals

Is this still true in VW 2011? I've been told that 2011 Fundamentals gains batch printing and pdf import, but I'm skeptical. And it's not an easy question to answer from the available information on the website.

That said, those two features are among the MOST fundamental of any professional drafting workflow. To exclude them is inappropriate at this price point.

Nick

Yes I am finding out more now as 3d section and open GL, in the toolsets at least 50% have an annoying red cross through them. It seems that over the years the developers have split of the various elements of the original Vectorworks to make as much profit as possible from us.

'Milking it' comes to mind. As you say it's not cheap but their tactics are particularly as you have to purchase each update release to climb the ladder to get the latest version. It's ok for large practices but for the small guy it's not economic.

Yes I am finding out more now as 3d section and open GL, in the toolsets at least 50% have an annoying red cross through them. It seems that over the years the developers have split of the various elements of the original Vectorworks to make as much profit as possible from us.

'Milking it' comes to mind. As you say it's not cheap but their tactics are particularly as you have to purchase each update release to climb the ladder to get the latest version. It's ok for large practices but for the small guy it's not economic.

I share this same frustration that these abilities still haven't been added to Fundamentals. These are basic production and interoperability functions, and there's nothing "industry-specific" about them. Fundamentals is billed in the brochure as a professional product, so these are the types of features that I'd expect not to be excluded.

Our structural engineering firm doesn't need 95% of what comes with Architect, and it's just not reasonable for us to upgrade every seat in the office for a small handful of abilities like these. We've been using VectorWorks Fundamentals for about a decade now, and we definitely feel like NMA is particularly omitting a few key elements as enticements to get people to upgrade.

Maybe in v2012? If so, we might finally brave the v2008 translation issues that seems to be eating some computers.

(Sorry for the rant, but I feel compelled to comment on this from time to time, and it's been a while.)

i am on Vectorworks 2008 Architect and still cannot import a PDF. any help?

I get the error message

"This Plug-in Object file is missing. Check to make sure it is in your "Plug-ins" folder.

Any help? What plug-in object file am I looking for in this folder? I have:

PDFPage.vwobject

PDFUtilityLib.vwlibrary

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have Vectorworks FUNDAMENTALS v2008, v2010, and v2011.

I just noticed that I AM able to import pdf with v2008, but NOT with v2010 or v2011.

I wonder what the difference is?

How is it that *I* am able to import a pdf into v2008, but other users are not?

I am going to start searching things like plug-ins, but if anyone has a definitive answer, I sure would like to hear it.

Thanks!

------------

Ken Newman

Audio Applications

A division of Video Applications, Inc., a Worldstage Company

15" MBP

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

OS10.6.6

------------