How to create orbit animation? Can't get it to work.

I am trying to create an orbital animation of my drawing, but I can't get the animation to work. I hit preview and it just blips and then nothing. This is my first time trying to use this feature and it seemed pretty self explanatory when I looked under the help section but clearly I am missing something. If anyone knows of a tutorial or can point me in the right direction would be very appreciative.

Thank you!

Linds

Vectorworks 2011 for Mac

Interesting. The Preview does not seem to work for me either, but the actual animation does (just did a few yesterday). If you want to do a quick test, try it with your model in wireframe which will be very fast as there is no rendering required. If the angles etc seem good then try it rendered (my choice would be Open GL or FQRW). For buildings I usually create a 3d object (extrude) in or near the center of my desired view and then with it selected I choose the "around selected object" option. Let us know...

That worked great! I don't know why it wont let me preview but once I skipped that step it let me do it just fine. I just can't figure out how to really change the angle. I clicked on Projection-Oblique Cavalier 45. Is there an easy way to angle it up or down?

Thanks!

Lindsey

Vectorworks 2011 for Mac

Also I seem to be encountering an issue when I render. I am using the open GL. I start off in my projection view, but then when it renders, it seems to go away from that view and all I get is a large beige looking rectangle. Any thoughts on what is happening here?

Lindsey

Vectorworks 2011 for Mac

Here's my way (not the only way, but works well IMO):

1) SET THE VIEW: Use either "Set 3d View" (fund) or "RW Camera" (ind series) to set a 3d View with perspective, and which shows the entire height and width of the building/site/whatever. I usually prefer a slightly birds-eye view, in other words looking slightly down on the model (even though you'd never view it that way in real like without a helicopter!).

2) SAVE THIS VIEW. use the "Saved View" tab in the top bar to save the view.

3) Go to top/plan view and determine where you'd like the center of rotation to be. If draw a line from upper left corner to lower right corner, its center point should be close enough.

4) Create a dummy object to orbit around: draw a circle or square with its center at the center of model (from #3 above). Extrude it to some small height (12" will work fine. NOTE: if your model is multi-storied (multi-layered) you should create this extrude in the approx middle layer, height-wise.

5) Give the extrude it's own discreet class: create a new class called and make sure to place the extrude into this class.

6) Use the "Custom Selection" command to create a "Script" which selects only objects on the class called .

7) Now you're ready to do the animation. Go to Saved View (from #2).

8) Make sure nothing is selected.

9) Render the view (use open GL or RW's if you have it)

10) Run the script to select the extrude

11) With only the extrude selected run the Create Animation command choosing "Center of Selection".

12) Voila.

Of course this will all take a bit of practice. Good luck, and have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Alternatively, rather than creating a special class and script, consider using a 3D Loci in lieu of the "dummy object," positioned at the desired center of rotation. Select the loci before recalling the Saved View, then create the animation with "Center of Selection" chosen. (This does necessitate that your saved view is ready to go (its rendering mode can even be a part of its saved view status) because at this point you can't do much of anything else without de-selecting the 3D loci...).