Detail Cube 3 (cleaned up - better)

digitalcarbon

Question

10 answers to this question

Very nice idea. You work with it very well in your demo. A potential problem is user not knowing extent of mods outside of cube viewing area.

Would it mess up my model with new/extended/doubled/etc objects?

If you created a new top plate (rather than the mod in your demo), what controls the run length and end condition not visible outside of the cube?

No need to answer that, it's just implementation that needs working out.

-B

This is a good idea.

However I would not group it in the working planes toolbox. It would be better to make it a 3D-cut viewport OR 3D-marquee so when the user double clicks it (similar to other viewports), the user enters the editing mode and when done editing, the user simply presses the orange button on the top right of the screen to exit.

As for copying an object. I'd say whatever you copy in the viewport is copied as it actually is. So if an object is 3m long but the 3d-viewport is only showing 1m then the copied object actually is 3m long which will become evident when the user leaves the viewport. Hope that makes sense. :)

i think this idea has enormous potential for all CAD users, not just archies.

Maybe Shaun has a point, but, could be a TearOff in the WP palette, so it is associated but separate if you wish.

As for copying, Shaun, the beauty of this "Crop" view copying only what is visible in the crop means you get a detail of an object/objects/section that you can't see if all that's copied is the whole lump normally visible. Or have i missunderstood your point?? :crazy: :blush:

I think we mean the same thing. ;)

All I'm saying is while in the marquee-viewport, only parts of objects that are within the confines of the marquee-viewport are visible, even if one copies an object while still in the marquee-viewport, only part of the copy will be visible. When one leaves the marquee-viewport, then one sees the full size of the copy which will be exactly the same as the original.

Anyway this is just a "detail" of the Idea and NemV can sort this out. The main idea which I hope NemV will implement, is the "detail cube"/3D-cut viewport/3D-marquee/marquee-viewport. Call it whatever, just implement it. :cool: