Roof Intersect tool not working

JohnS

Ok, I've tried every option of the tool and I cannot connect two roof faces.

Sometime it tries and connect, but the roof I am connecting to gets reduced in size. I am using the new 2011 and this is a pain, especially after watching the video where it seemed to work so seamlessly.

Any suggestions?

With simple roof faces it seems to work okay, however I have also seen some very strange results with more complex connections. The best advice I can offer is to file a bug with a demo file attached. In the bug report be very clear and very specific as to what you would expect the tool to do and how exactly it is lacking. In the meantime there are lots of tricky ways to add and clip roof faces which can be used to get a decent result. Post back if you have a specific roof you need help with. Attaching a file (or image) will help there as well.

Peter,

Thanks on the advice. I'll go ahead and post the bug. I am also attaching the file with just the roofs that I'd like to connect. I am trying to connect red roof to blue roof, and just can't get it to work. Let me know if any one has any better luck.

John

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's your roof plan back, try the roof face that I clipped then end off.

Apparently, if you zoom way in, on your outboard corners, there's a bit of a chamfered edge...the tool doesn't like that...

Edited by Wes Gardner

So in Vw2011 the Connect/Combine Tool works only with Roof Faces, not roofs created with the 'Create Roof' tool - correct?

Wes- I tried your Roof Solution file and while in a 3d view I could not connect the Red roof (which you clipped) to the Blue roof. But when I switched to a Top/Plan view it worked correctly.

But in a sample Roof Connect file that I recently received at a Vw2011 training session - the Connect tool works fine in a 3d view. Go figure.

I agree with the original poster in that the functionality of this Connect Roofs feature is not nearly as simple/effective as shown in the demo video. Using it on anything more than the simplest of roofs will not work with any degree of certainty.

Regards,

Tim