Modelling

Assemblage

Curious to know how people are building their models..

Sheet layer VP's showing plans modelled using walls and plug-ins etc on design layers with appropriate Z values still show the full height and detail of 3D modelled elements. Eg, a downpipe made using extrude along path appears with all it's upper branches etc on the floor plan, when a simple circle is all that is required at that point. Are people creating many hybrid symbols for this?

Is it possible to limit the cut of a plan (like a section viewport)?

P

Is it possible to limit the cut of a plan (like a section viewport)?

Yes. Sort of. (If I understand what your asking....)

Create a SLVP in front view. Create a section SLVP from that.

michaelk

Edit: Forgot to turn on "save viewport cache". Update all the VPs and it will make sense.

Edited by michaelk

please elaborate ... is a SLVP a "section line view port" ? When I try to place a section line on a front view, it immediately flips the view to "top plan" as soon as I click on the section line button so i can't draw the section line across the front view. Is there antoher way to draw the section line ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Domer, by "SLVP", Michael means "Sheet Layer Viewport". If you want a "true 3D cut plan", the way to get it is to draw your model, create an elevation view port on a sheet layer, then enter the notation group of the viewport, and draw a section line there (looking down, in a -Z direction). The section viewport created will be a 'true plan cut'.

I'll attach a 2009 version.

The only real trick is that I made VP #4 on a sheet layer, selected it, then View>Create Section Viewport..., and in Advanced Section Properties set the depth range to Finite, 10' - 0".

Of course, there's no need to set the depth when creating the viewport, that can be done later.

And I skip Robert's 3rd step, entering the annotation group of the viewport. It seems to figure out what I mean by just selecting the VP.

hth

michaelk