Top View Change

sancho1981

Shawn,

Regular 2D and 3D objects will stick around when changing views. Hybrid objects have separate appearances for each view -- these objects include walls and plug-in objects and symbols with both 2D and 3D components. Spotlight lighting instrument symbols, for example, are all hybrid and appear different in 2D and 3D views.

From what I understand, VW 2010 addresses your issue a bit, allowing you to keep 2D objects in a 3D plane. Here are two other things to consider.

- Look at your layer and class organization. If your drawing is well organized, you should be able to hide everything you don't want to see. You may find saved views are really handy here, letting you switch view orientation and layer and class visibility with a single click.

- I imagine you're mostly switching between a plan view, a centerline section, and a front section or elevation. I highly recommend generating a 2D version of these views, especially if you're after drafting accuracy. Most venue drawings have a 2D section already, so doing this is not too difficult.

If you have a drawing that's mostly 3D, that doesn't mean you have to draw a 2D view to get a 2D view. Explore design layer viewports. They'll allow you to get a 2D section view of your 3D model. The viewport can be on its own layer so you can look at your section clutter-free. You may find Modify>Convert Copy to Polys useful to get actual 2D geometry from 3D views.

Personally, I only use a true 3D view to check a really tricky shot, say a diagonal coming through an opening.

HTH,

Josh