How to Model structural steel trusses?

What do you have that you are staring from? Is it a picture? Maybe some specs? The best way is to get them to send you a model of it, but I am guessing that is not an option.

I will some times get building drawings in 2d and want to create 3d models for a rendering. I will often find that there are i beams that go into the ground and extend up to a grid I can compose the lines making that up and extrude them along where the grid would be and it is pretty close.

Good day billgore

I find it best to import an AC file to VW which indicates the side view of siad truss. Trace blocks and extrude. As MattG mentioned they are mostly I-beams. Normally all the beams are the same size and height. working from the plan view you determine the distance between beams/truss.

I unfortunatly have the task of drawing up the CTICC Exhibition halls. In one hall not one beam is at the same height and they do have different sizes in each hall. Oh and they are curved.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

If the truss is made of rectangular sections:

- Switch to a true side on view and trace the shapes of the members.

- Give each shape a fill and then Extrude each one by its width.

- Switch to a top view and move the chord members so they are central to the top and bottom chord members.

- Draw a dashed line on the centreline of the truss.

- Select the line and all of the 3D parts and create a hybrid symbol of it.

Note: Best to do this in a separate file.