Door Casings and Wood Doors

Select the Door (or Window); click Settings; Go to the "View" tab (see "picture 2") and then select the part you wish to control in the pulldown (the example shown is with "Int. Rail/Stiles") and then assign it to one of the (horrible and hated) "Style Classes".

THEN you need to go into the "Edit Class(es)" dialog (see "picture 3") and assign the desired attributes and textures to the Class. Don't forget to check the "Use at Creation" box!

NOTE: I don't know anyone who thinks this is intuitive. But as far as I know the Style Classes are here to stay, so we all have to learn to live with them. On more complex projects I usually keep a cheat sheet for myself to help remember which Style is which...

NOTE: I don't know anyone who thinks this is intuitive. But as far as I know the Style Classes are here to stay, so we all have to learn to live with them. On more complex projects I usually keep a cheat sheet for myself to help remember which Style is which...

At the risk of a hijack here, I must say that I find this issue completely maddening. Is it really that hard to handle classes like Julian Carr's WinDoor plugin?

I ... like totally... understand the logic behind the unnerving 'Style Classes' , but question their use-ability, too.

Being a mere mortal ...

it seems that cribbing notes for all the various PIO>ClassStyles significantly negates their transportability & archival value.

Since VW is unable to handle 'Style Classes" in a user friendly manner ( for script compatibility reasons ),

it might be beneficial for VW to handle the ClassObjectID# as usual... but then pass the descriptors off to the OS.

Whereby the User can assign NameStrings via a standard OS driven #Includes file symbolically linked to the document.

This 'hybrid' would also allow export options to include the User assigned class names & attributes while providing a text-editable import-able list for all future projects and scripts.

Select the door or window then look in the Object Info Palette where you will find a whole bunch of parameters to set. (eg: Ext Trim; Int Trim; Jamb; etc., etc.) [see attached image] You can also access all of these and more by clicking the "Settings" button...

Beautiful! Got most of this now. As you can tell, I don't do this house drawing stuff often. Two more questions, please see the attachments. When rendered hidden line (door.pdf) the door leaf shows as a double thickness. Look at the open door at the left. Why is it a double thickness? And when RenderWorks rendered (door2.pdf), it appears as though there's a threshold under the open doors. I have that set to no threshold, and the heights of all the objects are correct at 0".

OK, I don't know why nobody has done this before. But Islandmon's comment got me thinking.

You can override the style-XX settings...sorta' using a custom naming standard.

See attached file.

Using "standard naming" set the naming standard to "user 1"

You will see the classes "style-1-wood" and "style-10-bronze" lised in the navigation pallet.

The worksheet "classnamestandards" maps style-1 and style-10 to these respectively.

The door has it's interior panel mapped to style-1 and its exterior panel mapped to style-10. And these are the options in the drop-down.

In short, you can have meaningful class names appear in your drawing using a custom standard naming worksheet.

The cryptic numbered classes will still appear in your materials list, but the mapping stays in the drawing and can be viewed in the worksheet.

Hi Again Bruce, The first issue (door showing double leaves in Hidden Line Render) is a bug. I will file it! This oddity disappears in other rendering modes (Open GL or Final Quality Renderworks).

The second issue (part of wall shows under door when rendered in ) has been fixed in the latest version I think. You can fix it cosmetically by creating a very thin floor object that covers the entire floor area, thereby hiding the flaw...

P

Edited by CipesDesign