Unshaded / shaded polygon rendering

Hello all -

Have been using the Unshaded / shaded polygon rendering modes which are giving me the style I am after for my 2d plans.

However, my drawing includes a seating block, created with the seating layout tool in Spotlight. The seats render fine in Open GL, Renderworks etc. but in Unshaded or shaded polygon modes, VW grinds to a halt. Can't stop the render and even when it finishes, just clicking on the viewport causes VW to eat up 100% of CPU again.

Everything works just fine when the seats are hidden or set to "Draw layout lines only"

I realise that seats are very complicated things for VW to render, but it seems to work ok in more detailed render modes.

Any tips ? It's no great deal, as I would only use shaded polygons in 2d top/plan views - but I would like to show the outline of the seats.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

I've also found that the seats that ship with VW take too much overhead when rendering.

The problem seems to be the back of the seats and the bottoms of the arm brackets. I've replaced all the 3D geometry with simpler geometry (NO curves) and that speeds things up nicely.

hth

michaelk

Thanks Michaelk

That helped a lot - thank you.

I simplified the chair symbol dramatically and it has done the trick. Shame though, as my 3d renders don't look as good - but have now put the original symbol on a separate class and set that to render in 3d viewports.

Am surprised a "simple" render mode like that takes so long though.

Thanks again,

Andrew

I am still only using 2008, but I have noticed that the seats that come with vw in 2008 as opposed to 12 have something funny going on with them. The 3d elements on the back of the chair make one of those instances where the group is larger then the objects. Just strange.

It sounds like you got it figured out though. My only thoughts would be to find a seat you like in vw or some outside source and redraw over it with simple objects in 2d and 3d because they are going to be repeated by well a lot.

Matt