Worksheet channel sorting

I've set up a worksheet in spotlight with columns for channel, fixture etc. and selected to sort via channel, however as some channels are single digit - 1,2,3 and some are 3 digits..101 etc the list when sorted goes 1,101,102,2,3,301,302 etc.

is there anyway i can get it to list in numerical order? so it would go 1 thru 99 then 100 onwards? i've looked in format cells and tried various number options with no luck.

Believe it or not, the Channel field is a text field.

There is another field, called "Alt-Chan" that is (if I understand correctly) generated from the Channel Field. Add this field to your worksheet and use it for sorting.

I usually put it way to the right and make the column so skinny I can't see it.

I suppose you could use Alt-Chan in place of Channel, but back in the old days (v10) I ran into trouble trying to change the Alt-Chan field. I don't know if this still applies.

hth

michaelk

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The alt- fields are still text fileds they just have zeros prepended to the number.

And if you cange the values they will not update the filed.

You can also use =VALUE('Lighting Device'.'Channel') this will convert the text to a number and sort correctly but it will disable editing.