Object display options

HOUCAD

Is there a way to display the same objects, like walls, differently in different layers or view ports?

This kind of display control by object is very useful. I see there are render settings for viewports but the options available are not what I am looking for. For example I like to have my walls hatched solid in a floor plan but I also want to show the same walls in another sheet without any hatching or wall components and I want them all dashed. It seems that the only option is to have the walls grayed and turn off component layers. I am used to having a display configuration I can activate in a viewport and object settings that can be set to display differently in the different display configurations.

Is there anything like that in VectorWorks?

If you set your attributes by class, you can apply Class Overrides in viewports and get the effect you are looking for.

Select the viewport. In the Object Info Palette click the Classes button.

Double click the class you want to change. The Edit Class(es) dialog box will open and you can set the attributes you want for that class in that viewport.

The fourth column (before the class name) will have a check for classes that are overridden in the viewport.

Hmm, this sort of gets the effect I am looking for in a round about way but it is rather tedious and there doesn't appear to be a way to save a display configuration. I can use this to do what I want though.

ADT/ACA allows you to set the display properties of any component in any object rather than by class and save those settings so you can activate a display mode in a viewport. Will VW copy a viewport to a different layer and keep the class settings?

• 2 weeks later...
If you set your attributes by class, you can apply Class Overrides in viewports and get the effect you are looking for.

Do extruded objects function differently? I can't seem to be able to change the appearance of any extruded object either in a viewport or by modifying the extrusion itself.

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I have extruded a concrete beam below a floor slab. I want the beam to appear with a dashed line. I can't seem to make that happen. Is there some kind of linetype scale that just isn't showing the dashed line properly? How would you normally make a slab and beam foundation with VectorWorks?