Fit walls to roof doing funny stuff again

CS1

I have one "wall" and one "roof face" on one layer (the only two objects in my drawing).

The wall is positioned well below the roof face.

I select the wall and do the "fit wall to roof" command. I tick "contrain tops of walls to 3D geometry", select the correct layer and leave "wall top embedded depth" as "0".

I hit OK and the top of the wall lines up with the top face of the roof leaving a little bit extending througg the roof.

What have I done wrong?

Edited by CS1

Just tried that Jeffrey and it did have an effect, the wall becomes almost invisible right-hand-most corner just breaks surface of roof.

I dont understand thou in all other occasions the wall stops at the bottom surface of the roof face not the top face???

CW,

That looks like a problem we fought with in a different thread last week.

Is that a custom window? We found the standard Window PIOs worked ok, but that custom symbols caused the "wings" you are seeing.

Someone found that if you add some "false" wall peaks (just in line with the normal pitch" the problem can be worked around.

For more information see this thread: http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23003&Number=108176#Post108176

Pat

I believe it was Pat... though I couldn't duplicate the issue just now. Actually, I've had multiple problems with windows and doors (custom or not) since I began modeling in VW. My hopes are that purchasing WinDoor will help. Still though, it seems the more I learn and try new things in VW the more time I waste on work-arounds and edits... it's really frustrating! Thanks for the tip though.

Edited by C W

Thanks Jeffrey the image you attached is how I understood the "fit to roof" command to work, I have attached an image showing what is actually happening in this file.

(In your image the wall joins fits to the underside of the roof, in mine the walls is for some reason fitting to the upper surface of the roof)

Edited by CS1