Symbols with Record Format and data not staying

So I am sure this is an easy one and I ma leaning toward vectorworks just doesn't do this at the moment.

I have created a number of symbols that are all linked to the same record format and for the longest time I have been bothered by the fact that when I change my symbol. I typically just click replace in the resource browser and choose my new one. My existing data won't stay with the new symbol. Is this an Operator Error or something that has come up before?

Matt

Yes I talked to sam about something similar to this.

I am going to go into a little back tracking explaining this and maybe you or someone else will see a better way of doing this. So beyond theatre lighting there is more entertainment lighting which I primarily do a lot with. Mainly touring scenarios where you are bringing everything into a venue and setting it up in a couple of hours to do a show that night. We often don't need the information like the theatre information. So we use for cableing "multi cable" Which for our company and most folks use is 6 circuits. Big heavy cable to stretch out often times very long distances.

These cables connect to things that break out the 6 circuits to different fixtures and such (I am really saying more than needs to be) Well this is usally all taped up nice and neat so the stage hands don't need to think while making connections.

What I have is a folder of symbols for my circuiting that represents multicable. There are different symbols for different voltages and different types of ending connectors. So sometimes I use a "fan-out" that is kinda like those cool things you can get for your entertainment center that look like a squid when you plug theme into an outlet and now you get six plugs. Sometimes I use a box that is kinda like a power strip. Sometimes I don't use and end because the thing it is going to takes six circuits and just mates to it. Now with all that there are different connector types at the end of these fan outs or boxes so I have additional modifications of a previous symbol to represent them. All of this is tied to a record that I store the cables name, length, voltage, electrical tape color and other information as such in.

Now my problem comes up. I put these symbols where the cables should land. suddenly I find out a light I was using that I thought had connector x on it has connector z on it. So I select the symbol click replace and chose the other one that represents connector z and swap it out. All my info than dissappears! Oh no, really bad considering I had 220 of those lights and I though it would be a good idea to swap all of the 220 symbols divided by 6 and hit replace at once. Thank heavens for undo.

Any ideas on a better way to do this?

Matt

I agree. We don't have an elegant solution yet for productions that use multi cables.

I'm not sure I understand what you're attempting.

Do you have a symbol for each kind of break out or fan out?

Or do you have a symbol for a X Light with a multi connector and a different symbol for a X Light with stage pin connectors? And when you change symbols you loose some data???

Have you tried not having different symbols for each connector, but using one lighting instrument symbol and attaching an accessory for the connector type?

Michael