multiple stringers in stair pio

td4stage

Question

I created a simple stair unit from the pio. The stair has open stringers and no risers. There are two stringers, obviously, on the outsides of the stair, but I would like to add one in the middle. There is no place in the pio to accomplish this. I have to convert it and add one manually. It would be nice to have that option in the pio!

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I've found the stair PIO to be rather inadequate for building anything other than "traditional" stairs. Some of the frustrations I've had are:

? the thickness of floor framing for landing is determined by stringer parameters;

??if the stair runs are not full-width (i.e. the landing is wider and there's a horizontal gap between the runs), then the landing gets this weird 'appendage' that you can't get rid of;

??and as you've indicated, there's not much control over the stringers themselves, especially if you're trying to do something open/contemporary...

I haven't done enough 3D modeling yet, but my conclusion up until now has been that more specialized stairs probably need to be built from scratch.

more specialized stairs probably need to be built from scratch.

Yeah, you are right.

You might use the Stair Tool to get the basic layout,

rise & run, etc... all worked out, then build your custom

stairs in its place when you are ready for that level of

detail.